POA & e-services rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POA & e-services rules

Can an EA use IRS e-services to locate a POA - Form 2848 - that was previously submitted by the practitioner by fax or mail and subsequently validated by the IRS and entered into their computer system? If so, are there any exceptions? Furthermore, does an EA have the ability and authority to request different kinds of transcripts through e-services for a client in regards to a POA that was submitted to the IRS through fax or paper mail? Of course, I am assuming here that the time limits for requesting certain transcripts that is part of the e-services rules are being observed.

As long as you have the critical information; Name and SSN, you can access the taxpayers file. You can retrieve any information your POA covers once you have accessed the file. I deal with non-filers and so I must fax the POA in, since I don't have a recent AGI number to use to validate the POA. I have noticed the IRS is very spotty when it comes to entering a POA in the system when you submit it to a department other than the centralized POA site. Say you respond to a CP2000 notice and include a POA with it. I wouldn't bet on the agent processing the notice entering the POA in the system. If that's important to you I would suggest faxing it and waiting for it to post. (about 18 days from my recent experience)
    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Several questions here.

I don't know what you mean by "locating" a POA. Once the POA has been entered in the CAF, you should be able to access client information via E-Services for all years authorized on the POA. There is no time limit, except that after a number of years, some of the information is no longer available. It shouldn't matter how the POA was originally submitted. I have never had much luck trying to edit an existing POA, however, even when it was submitted electronically.
      Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Regarding POA & e-services rules

Just to clarify my use of the word "locate", I meant the ability to "Update and View an Authorization" on e-services. Is there a particular fax number that an EA should be generally using in order to send a POA to what DaveO is referring to as the centralized POA site? If so, what is it? I would like to have it for future reference.

Comment

2848 fax number

A lot easier to just use the link, Sorry about the mess pdf does when trying to copy.

Comment

The best way to fax.

Fax processing has slowed to a crawl nowadays. It used to be 24 hours. If you are in a hurry, the best way is to get on the phone with whomever it is you are dealing with -- Practitioner Priority Line or whatever -- and fax it to them while you are connected. They usually put it through right away. As I said, I've never had much luck trying to update an existing authorization.
            Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

According to the IRS faxing a POA takes 72hrs to post to the system. When you enter a POA via e-services you are given a tracking number and can use that any time you want to look at the poa. They also provide you with a copy that can be printed and placed in the client file for future reference.
              If you fax a poa directly to an IRS dept don't expect it to be added to the CAF system. Fax it to CAF even if you have provided it directly.
              The phone number depends on where the returns are submitted from. Check the instructions for the correct number to fax it to.

Lastly, if I wanted to change any info on a poa I would prepare a new one because the client has to sign it prior to submission.
              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

According to the IRS faxing a POA takes 72hrs to post to the system. ...
                And if something is wrong with the POA, don't expect to hear about it ever, unless your client calls you.

Filed a late paper return in April, signed by me as POA. Attached POA form to return and also faxed it in. POA was returned to client in June - IRS said second page missing. Refaxed immediately. Second POA was returned to client in August - IRS said name did not match SSN. [Client has compound last name - Miller Smith. E-file of spouse MFS return was accepted using "Miller Smith" as last name. POA form does not have a specific block for the last name.]

By the time the client received the second rejected POA her return had been processed and her refund check received and cashed. Hoping the whole POA rejection train will simply fade away.

Comment

Poa

You did not explain reason for the POA to begin with if you need info about the return being filed I have found check the box works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by mlinderEA View Post
                    You did not explain reason for the POA to begin with if you need info about the return being filed I have found check the box works fine.
                    It was an amended return adding her to her husband's return that had been originally filed as MFS. No check box on amended returns.

Comment

Originally posted by DonPriebe View Post
                      And if something is wrong with the POA, don't expect to hear about it ever, unless your client calls you.

Filed a late paper return in April, signed by me as POA. Attached POA form to return and also faxed it in. POA was returned to client in June - IRS said second page missing. Refaxed immediately. Second POA was returned to client in August - IRS said name did not match SSN. [Client has compound last name - Miller Smith. E-file of spouse MFS return was accepted using "Miller Smith" as last name. POA form does not have a specific block for the last name.]

By the time the client received the second rejected POA her return had been processed and her refund check received and cashed. Hoping the whole POA rejection train will simply fade away.
                      It has been my experience that the POA is returned to the preparer when the IRS finds errors. They even enclude an envelope to return the corrected or a new POA to them.
                      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                      X