No announcement yet.

Forms based software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was paying Lacete close to 7,000 a year, it looks like I will be switching to Drake where 1100 includes everything, thats unlimited everything, no exceptions. I have already done about 10 extension returns on Drake and I like it so much I can honestly say I would not go back to using Lacerte, even if they offered me the software free for the rest of my life. I realy don't see a whole lot that I am giving up. I look forward to traveling to thier Franklin, NC headquaters later this year for thier 3 day seminar. Switching packages is tought, but worth it. Best wishes on your decisions.

Comment

Be sure to check out the Nantahala Gorge & scenic drive if you get a chance while you're visitng Franklin, NC. The whitewater center is interesting as well.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by John of PA View Post
        I was paying Lacete close to 7,000 a year, it looks like I will be switching to Drake where 1100 includes everything, thats unlimited everything, no exceptions. I have already done about 10 extension returns on Drake and I like it so much I can honestly say I would not go back to using Lacerte, even if they offered me the software free for the rest of my life. I realy don't see a whole lot that I am giving up. I look forward to traveling to thier Franklin, NC headquaters later this year for thier 3 day seminar. Switching packages is tought, but worth it. Best wishes on your decisions.
        John,
        I just switch to Drake this morning from Lacerte, save me over $3,000. If you decide
        you don't want to keep Drake---you have until January 1, 2013 to cancel and get your
        full refund---can't beat that.

Comment

I've posted on this before but I was with Taxwise for years. That is the program I learned to prepare tax returns. It was extremely hard to make the decision to change after a decade of working on the program. When I first started with Taxwise they were owned by a local company in Rome Georgia. They were then bought out by CCH. After that is when pricing went up and support went down. The support was just horrible.

So I was used to a forms based program and made a huge jump into Drake. Drake has made alot of improvements over the years from what I have seen from prior year installations. The first year was hard as I was calling Drake trying to find out why this wasn't showing up, how can I get rid of this error, etc.Their support is top notch and they will try to resolved it if they can.

Good company, good software and I just renewed with them last week

Comment

I found a few glitches in Drake that were enough to decide not to use it, It seems to be weak on CA, which, of course, is the state I use the most.

ATX appears to be the only package that meets all of your expectations except for price. For a few years, I used the 1040 package with PPR for any biz returns I needed to do in order to save a few dollars. That may be an option for you. They used to send a fully operational demo disc for you to work with after April 15. Much like I got a fully operational demo disc from drake 2 years ago to try them out.

Neither Proseries or Lacerte are forms based; you work from input sheets, although you can jump from the form to the workshet.

Comment

I suspect we're heading away from forms based software in favor of worksheet based software. From an input perspective, it gives more freedom to the software company to put all similar deductions in the same place, etc. Where-as on the forms similar deductions may be miles apart on different forms.

That of course means since the worksheets are done by software company that going from one software company to another you may do things in an entirely different way. So as we move away from forms based input, the learning curve in changing software will increase - no doubt the software will take advantage.

It also means you have to put more trust in your software vs. knowing how to do taxes. You put X deduction on Y worksheet and hope the software knows all the consequences of it, AMT, state tax returns, etc... One entry may affect a dozen forms. On the other hand, would you really want to make an entry on a dozen forms? Then again, what is your software's policy on a calculation issue? If they fail to carry an entry from a worksheet appropriately to a state form what happens? Nothing?

As far as interview based products, Turbotax is great at what it does, but interview is slow and really intended for someone who does not know what deductions are available or how to do taxes. You don't want your professional tax software designed for someone who doesn't know how to do taxes IMO.

Comment

ProSystem FX

I have used ProFX for many years now and it is forms based or worksheet based depending on which method you prefer. I prefer worksheet based.

It costs a small fortune and I only use the individual returns package. I recently got ATX to demo and did a complicated return with it that had already been done through ProFX. Got them to match with a little tweaking. I need to do several more because I was not comfortable with the new ATX process even though the returns matched in the end.

I've looked at the difference in price compared to ATX and calculated the net after-tax annual difference. All it would take is one slip up and I'd be wishing I hadn't changed.

That's both the problem and blessing with software. You become so familiar with it that you can fire through it with breakneck speed once you know the nuances. Until such time, you're waking up in the middle of the night wondering whether you put an "X" in the box.

I'm afraid this dog is too old for new tricks.
                Last edited by ttbtaxes; 05-30-2012, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Just my 2 cents worth about Drake:

Just my 2 cents worth about Drake:

Drake is an all encompassing one time $1595 ($1095 early purchase or renewal) and there are NO e-file fees or any other fees of any kind. Pay the one time fee per year and NEVER pay another penny for anything. The single fee includes ALL of the following:

1. Software for individual, corporation, partnership, gift tax, exempt organizations, estates, and fiduciary returns as well as all states.

2. A write up program

3. A document manager program

4. A client status manager program

5. An appointment scheduler program

6. A free web site

7. A fantastic web based user forum that is very active

8. The best customer service I have ever experienced with any company using any product

And once again, ALL of the above is included in the one time annual fee. NO extras!

I bought a business 11 years ago that was already using Drake and I hated it. At the end of the first season, I made it my goal to find a better alternative at a reasonable price and would not have minded paying even a little more. After testing at least a half dozen other programs, I decided to put up with Drake just one more season. Over the years, through a combination of Drake making massive improvements and my getting used to using it, I have gone from hating Drake to being a big fan.

Don't get me wrong. Drake still has its problems and its issues but that is true of any program and of any company. At this point in time, it would take an incredible improvement of some kind to get me to ever leave Drake. I do highly recommend it to anyone.

Having said all of that, different software may be better for different types of practices. Drake just happens to work for me.

I am not affiliated with Drake in any way except as a satisfied user and receive NO compensation for this recommendation.
                  Lennox C. (Len) Boush, EA, FNTPI
                  Heritage Income Tax Service, Inc.
                  Portsmouth, VA

Comment

Reflections

I agree with the comment about being pennywise and pound foolish. However, I don't think I am. Drake has everything I need and everything I want except for being forms based. I simply don't have the money to fulfill that wish at this time. I particularly agree with what was said about Drake's stellar customer service.

Comment

Working...
                    X