Looking for a magic phone number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a magic phone number

Have a clint that we tried to file his return in February. Message in my software (TW)
    said the SS# had already been used and to paper file. Web page says return is in
    process. Does anyone have a phone number they have used to get a hold of someone at the IRS that gives a ****.

If due to Identity Theft, phone number at link above for IRS ID Theft hotline.

Comment

Up the creek

BTDT ("been there, done that")

The "bad" return is already in the system.

The only option your client has is to file a paper return, and let the IRS sort things out.

Next year he may get a secret PIN to use on his tax returns if ID theft is the underlying issue.

FE

Comment

The people in the identity theft department are very helpful, if that is any consolation to you. Get POA and call them.

Linda, EA

Comment

Had one last week - we are not sure if Identity Theft or not - It was linked to a Dependent SSN

Try 866-255-0654 - it is the efile help desk

Warning though, you will have to paper file!! IRS would give me no options, file with the 8948 ( I believe that is the form #) and the rejection notice. IRS advised me client would receive additionall communication after processing.

What a "PITA"

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by S T View Post
            Had one last week - we are not sure if Identity Theft or not - It was linked to a Dependent SSN

Try 866-255-0654 - it is the efile help desk

Warning though, you will have to paper file!! IRS would give me no options, file with the 8948 ( I believe that is the form #) and the rejection notice. IRS advised me client would receive additionall communication after processing.

What a "PITA"

Sandy
            Yes and it is going to get worse. I was just watching a news report that says ssn's of dead military and children are being used and the source is apparently someone with access to a data base who is selling the information.
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
            X