Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

biz/pers trip time counting

I try to be as clear as I can.

Employee has to make a trip to go see sister in A. Employer says, great, on your way stop at these three places and also in A. stops at these place.

I need to figure out if this trip is more biz than personal, don't I? Does it make a difference that she is "send" by employer who will be paying for the trip?

What exactly is included is "time spend for business"

- In A.: once she leaves the accommodation all travel time plus time spend at these places, all business?

- on trip: all time spend going off "regular route", only time spend once leaving the highway?

I know that all extra mileage is biz but but I really struggle with this time counting. I assume all is based on a 8hr work day? any other hours?

Am I making this too complicated?

Originally posted by Gretel View Post
    Am I making this too complicated?
    Maybe. I only say that because of this:

employer ... will be paying for the trip
    If you still need to allocate for some reason, Pub 17 p. 198 has a few paragraphs and examples. Maybe they'll help.

Comment

Thanks, BP. However, these examples relate to education expenses.

Comment

Confusion reigns

If it is a business trip, and the employer is paying for the business portions of the trip, what relevance could any unrelated personal diversions/extensions have to do with income taxes? (The employer might have an interest in the expense account for such, however....)

OTOH, if it is for all intents and purposes a personal trip that is somehow being transmogrified into a business trip, even if by a crafty employer, then the rules are different. BP has provided you info on that aspect.

FWIW: Your comment that "employee HAS to make a (personal) trip" might be a good starting point.

FE

Comment

This is what I was trying to figure out. Everything I read points to actual time spend for business, and if it is over 50% then all travel expenses are deductible (other then expenses directly related to personal time). These are legitimate biz stops. I didn't see anything in what I read that points to intent, which is the main thing in a lot of other business expense evaluation.

Comment

Originally posted by Gretel View Post
            Thanks, BP. However, these examples relate to education expenses.
            OK sorry! Try p. 179, but I think the underlying theory is simliar.

Comment

Originally posted by BP. View Post
              OK sorry! Try p. 179, but I think the underlying theory is simliar.
              Thanks, I studied that back and forth but it didn't give me what I was looking for.

Comment

Working...
              X