Things I Hate About Tax Season / Please Add Yours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That guy

350) That guy you've never seen before that busts in on 2/15 and picks your brain about business expenses, says he will bring his stuff in next week. Shows up 3/30, looks put out cause you can't get it done. You explain that there is a reason God made extensions.

He says, "OK, let me get it out of the truck."

Comes back five minutes later: "Well, here is 2010. I'll have to bring 2011 on Monday."
    If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Clients that mention

income under the table, and then I have to send them away because they don't want to report it.

Comment

"My mom is a CPA and said you do not need the person's SS# to claim child care."

Comment

Bad planning, etc.

Received call this week from long-time client. It seems a "family member" has recently received a flaming notice from the IRS about not filing a 2008 tax return. Cloud return was created and, to keep things simple, the person is facing a major problem. The IRS has thrown every possible penalty (excerpt perhaps jaywalking) into its tax notice and bill. The fact that this notice arrived in late March for a 2008 return is also boxing in the person time-wise.

No facts are available as to whether a 2009 or 2010 return was ever filed.

This person has mainly Form 1099-MISC income, "can't find many records," etc. Client who contacted me has no great sympathy ("I TOLD him/her so!!!"). It's not just a matter of a missing cost basis for a matured CD or something. My guess is the person has, at best, a few wrinkled Forms 1099-MISC in a desk drawer somewhere. And there is likely much more income the IRS does not know about, so I would not expect them to budge too much from their position.

I explained how the problems are just beginning, to include years 2009-2011. Having "an attitude" against the IRS will not help things either...

My advice was to look for a tax attorney, who (if calmer minds prevail) might be able to do some negotiating via OICs etc. Duct tape was recommended for the client in any discussions with the IRS.

And so it goes...

FE

Comment

About needing that number

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post
            "My mom is a CPA and said you do not need the person's SS# to claim child care."
            Well, she is technically correct for the provider's SSN.

(Some folks on these boards have ... strongly ... disagreed.)

This year I had to file a return for a client in just such a situation. The IRS provides instructions for handling such. On line 1c of Form 2441 you note "See Page 2" and then at the bottom of Page 2 of Form 2441 you insert a statement along the lines of "The care provider refused to supply the SSN." (Oh yes - the client has copy of unsigned W-10 - the provider "did not feel comfortable" about providing the necessary information.)

The main issue my client encountered is that such an approach precludes efiling, so a paper return was necessary. Slows down everything for the client due to "an attitude" on the provider's part.

But I DO appreciate your point!!

FE

Comment

I found your thread. That is true they technically do not. But yours as a little bit different situation.
              Don't want to turn this thread into talking about that though Keep this one on track
              Last edited by geekgirldany; 03-30-2012, 06:08 PM.

Comment

On further review

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post
                I found your thread. That is true they technically do not. But yours as a little bit different situation.
                Don't want to turn this thread into talking about that though Keep this one on track
                Sorry for the detour. My head was still aswirl from my 05:49 post, perhaps.

Therefore, in the simplest of terms, the statement by the CPA is technically correct.

FE

Comment

Half a dependent

A non-client called for advice as to what to do: According to her, she and her live-in boyfriend had each claimed "half a dependent" for their child! They had done their own return and went to some storefront place where they somehow or other put some variation of the data which was on each of their returns into their software and transmitted both returns. The return that arrived at the IRS first (her partner) was given the exemption and hers was rejected. And to make matters worse, his refund was taken for back child support! The only advice that came to mind was to make a better choice for the father of your next child!

Comment

Thanks everyone

I have really been behind in reading posts....so snowed under it isn't funny and it doesn't even snow in Florida.

This thread had me in stitches...LOL!!!!! I really needed a good laugh.

I hate it when clients bring in their paperwork and tell you take your time. I'm not in any hurry. And then call in a few days and ask if you are finished yet...oh, they are "just checking in" I had a guy that called twice a day for a week. He has anxiety disorder...well, now I have it too.

Linda, EA

Comment

I know your area code. OK?

411) Clients that wait for you to write their area code when they live a stone's throw away. Literally. I can just yell out the window at you when it's done, dude. I sit there, not writing, waiting on them to cough up the seven digits I DON'T know. They sit there, waiting on me to write. It's like an area code standoff.
                      Last edited by RitaB; 03-31-2012, 09:51 AM.
                      If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Number please

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
                        411) Clients that wait for you to write their area code when they live a stone's throw away. Literally. I can just yell out the window at you when it's done. dude. I sit there, not writing, waiting on them to cough up the seven digits I DON'T know. They sit there, waiting on me to write. It's like an area code standoff.
                        Having been around long enough to remember when I could DIAL four numbers and reach someone, I feel your pain.

Of course, the flip side of things is that starting today everyone in my local area MUST dial a ten-digit number for all local calls. It soon will be quite possible for my next door neighbor to have a different area code.

As for this thread, I still think it is a close call between the "PIG" ("payment in goat") and the photographs of the charitable trash bags for taking the cake. We need a rating system!

Oh well, the end will soon be at hand and saner minds can perhaps prevail...

FE

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
                          in my local area MUST dial a ten-digit number for all local calls.

As for this thread, I still think it is a close call between the "PIG" ("payment in goat") and the photographs of the charitable trash bags for taking the cake. We need a rating system!
                          10 digits all around here.

But, yes, I agree, PIG v DUMP are the main hilarious ones. (Donations Undercover of Massive Plastic?)

Comment

This one isn't very funny, but what I hate about tax season is.........spring weather. Why can't it be snowing and raining and hailing and no sun, because I have to stay indoors every day! And when I look down, my shoes don't match this morning. Well, it was still dark......

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post

My advice was to look for a tax attorney, who (if calmer minds prevail) might be able to do some negotiating via OICs etc. Duct tape was recommended for the client in any discussions with the IRS.

And so it goes...

FE
                              A tax attorney? Well now, why not an EA with good representation credentials?
                              In fact I know a well qualified fellow up in Raleigh. (grin

And in response to another comment of yours, I can remember when you picked up the phone and operator requested "number please", and you spoke the number for her to connect.
                              My sister one time when she was about 4 picked up the phone and told the operator she wanted to talk to her daddy, and the operator promptly connected her to the warehouse. sigh... smile.
                              Last edited by ChEAr$; 03-31-2012, 11:26 AM.
                              ChEAr$,
                              Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
                              X