Things I Hate About Tax Season / Please Add Yours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things I Hate About Tax Season / Please Add Yours

1) Hearing, "I have a question for you!" Like it's a treat or something.

2) Hearing, "How much do you charge..." Uh, $60 - $485, so far.

3) That guy who brings his crap the first Friday in April, five minutes before closing, all smiles cause he is going on "Vacay".

4) That guy who calls every year in March: "Hey, if I sell my business for $600,000, what'll that do to me?" I don't know, but I know what I'd like to do to you.

5) Explaining taxes to teachers and hairdressers.

6) Explaining anything to directors of non-profits.

7) Hearing that guy who draws SS and refuses to retire ask me why he has to pay on SS. Every. Dang. Year.
    Last edited by RitaB; 07-07-2012, 09:07 AM.
    If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Clients who believe if they call every single day, they will get their tax returns quicker. Wrong!

Clients who bring me 3 years of estate work in March for their mother who "didn't have anything".

Maribeth

Comment

A client that I've been wanting to fire....calling me at 7:00 a.m. to see if I started his return. Just last week I finally received a $60 money order for his two kids 2010 returns. I had mailed at least two invoices over the past year and of course I don't hear anything or receive payment until they want my services again .

Comment

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
        1)

7) Hearing that guy who draws SS and refuses to retire ask me why he has to pay on
        SS. Every. Dang. Year.
        I had one of these that would tell me each year that "It just doesn't seem right that he should have to pay SE when it will not add to his benefits." I told him that he didn't have to convince me because I happened to agree with him. But that I have to do things the way the law requires.

Each year, same question - same answer. About the third year I happened to look up from the keyboard while he was making the statement and he had a grin on his face. He already knew the answer, he just wanted to tease me. Same thing for several years. This year we finished and he went out the door, stopped and stuck his head back in and said - "I still don't think it's right". I replied "Yes - but if you don't pay, how am I going to collect mine?" He just started laughing, turned and went on to his truck.

LT
        Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

11) Never eating a vegetable.

12) Carrying garbage in my car for two days cause the dumpster was closed when I got outta here and/or I forgot it was in there.

13) That time I actually tried to use the engineer's 4 pt font spreadsheet.

14) Hearing, "How's it looking?" It's looking like it's going to the bottom of the stack.

15) Getting the new client whose preparer died / got incarcerated. You look at the handwritten prior return which has the wrong spouse on Sch C and Sch SE, home mortgage interest and church contributions on p. 2 of Sch C. And, about a million business miles. And, new client wipes away a tear, thinking of nominating the old fart for canonization.
          Last edited by RitaB; 03-27-2012, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Answer your phone!

I have called your home number, both cell phones and your work number. Here's a thought when your phone goes ring ring (or whatever stupid ringtone you wasted your money on) it means someone is trying to reach you.

And no I don't want to listen to your poor choice of music while I am on hold.

Comment

Fetching & tugging

I love it all, but I miss my dog.

Now, just this morning I have received from 4 clients:

a corrected W-2
              2 corrected 1099-Bs
              2 corrected MStanley 1099s (heads up)

Sure...why not??

Comment

Originally posted by veritas View Post
                I have called your home number, both cell phones and your work number. Here's a thought when your phone goes ring ring (or whatever stupid ringtone you wasted your money on) it means someone is trying to reach you.

And no I don't want to listen to your poor choice of music while I am on hold.
                1) Couples fighting while I do their taxes
                2) Misbehave kids (they should stay at home)
                3) No Shows and they do not even call so someone else could take their place
                4) Clients call late at night (10:00) and even 5:30 am for a (stupid) question
                5) Very late appointments to back my clients up to stay very late in the office
                6) New clients to give a price AND after they pay me they say "I am glad I came here=H&R Block charged me twice as much
                7) BUT they are some good people and good times I have had too.
                SueBaby

Comment

Clueless clients who have no knowledge of their investments in their brokerage accounts.

1099B shows $20,000 Exchange on a fund.

No cost basis on the 1099B.

I asked the client and he says he doesn't know and has no records, as he pitches all thsoe monthly statements.

$20,000 @15% capital gains tax = $3,000 in tax.

I have seen more 1099B's with no cost basis on many items. I have never had this problem in the past, just this year.
                  Jiggers, EA

Comment

The Doctor complaining that we won't stay late/come in early or work Sunday to accomodate him, "I just can't understand how you're allowed to set your own schedule."
                    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
                    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Prospect client

I have a simple tax return is shouldn't be that hard. I have always wanted to respond:

"if its so easy, why dont you prepare it"

Comment

Simplest answer

"It's the same as last year....."

Comment

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
                          12) Carrying garbage in my car for two days cause the dumpster was closed when I got outta here and/or I forgot it was in there.
                          OMG. I just remembered I threw mine in the trunk this morning.....be right back!

Comment

Oh, I didn't think of that

47) Needing a hair cut. And realizing that she is going to know that I colored my own hair, cause haircolor doesn't generally last three months.

Comment

"What are your contributions this year?

"Uh, about the same. Whatever, you think."

"I'm thinking zero so maybe you better take a look."

Comment

Working...
                              X