Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's "Ya"

Originally posted by JoshinNC View Post
    But, if you are going to be a self employed professional then every time you write something that someone else is going to read it will make an impression on others. You can know the Tax Code from A to Z, but if your grammar and/or spelling are off you may lose a client, so you should focus on tightening up that part of your skill set.
    Oh, by the way, what's "Ya" in your title to this post? I can't find that in English dictionary nor did I ever see it in any of the English books I read

I hope you got my point regarding these posts.

Thanks,
    nk

Comment

Thank you

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
      Extremely wise advise, especially the "bad" suggestions.

I concur heartily on the "price-chasers" and the "problem" returns. Some tax problems I simply do not want to try to resolve. Yes, there are some dishonest people out there.

And #3 of the "good" is absolutely the best way to grow your practice.

FE
      Thanks for the comment. It is really appreciated.
      nk

Comment

I agree!

I have been doing taxes for many years. I do not have a real large client base (my choice), but every one of them praise my ethics, my explanations, and service to them. I have gotten most of my clients from word of mouth.
        If you would like to really learn how to proceed, take every suggestion above and run with it. The suggestions were great! It is so helpful to have someone in the profession giving you solid advice, and not someone that would want to take your clients away. It is helpful to have a mentor and this forum.
        The person who commented on your writing must be having a bad day or is someone that doesn't care for people starting out in business. Although I agree about your writing skills, there was a proper way to tell you to improve your wriitng skills, especially for someone that doesn't know you.
        Good luck with your business!

Comment

Thanks

I really feel that this forum is a great resource and I am thankful there are people who are willing to help and provide great advices. I just have to be patient and make sure I do a good job in this profession. I definitely agree about the writing skills that are needed.

Thanks again,
          nk

Comment

JoshinNC must be having a bad day or bad week. He isn't usually that critical. Be nice, Josh........

I started small and am still small but comparison to most. I get new clients by referrals. I try to give my clients the best service they can get and be friendly and kind. I get new referrals every year.

Are you working from home or have an office? Some people like to attend meetings where they will have contact with other business owners and make connections. You might try that.

Linda, EA

Comment

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
              JoshinNC must be having a bad day or bad week. He isn't usually that critical. Be nice, Josh........

I started small and am still small but comparison to most. I get new clients by referrals. I try to give my clients the best service they can get and be friendly and kind. I get new referrals every year.

Are you working from home or have an office? Some people like to attend meetings where they will have contact with other business owners and make connections. You might try that.

Linda, EA
              I am working from home for now. I offer my clients either to meet at my home office or other location that is more convenient to them for the initial interview, and then we usually meet in my office and go over everything once I am done with their taxes. I am glad you mentioned the meetings. I will definitely have to look into that.
              Thanks again,
              nk

Comment

Niche

With your language skills, you might want to consider becoming your local area expert on foreign income, citizens abroad, not-yet-citizens here, various types of visas, tax treaties, FBAR reporting and that new form this year for reporting , that type of thing. Maybe become an Acceptance Agent or whatever the name is for the person who facilitates ITIN applications.

Find a local chapter of a larger tax professionals group, such as NAEA or AICPA, so you can network and perhaps get referrals re foreign income or whatever your niche ends of being.

Tell your clients that you have time to take on new clients. Tell your lawyer and broker, too. Don't hesitate to tell people what you do. Perfect your "elevator" speech.

And, ditto, to all the above suggestions.

Comment

I don't care how you spell it as long as I understand the jist of it. And, by the way, just fill out your profile....you don't owe an explanation to anyone.
                  Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Talks in different communities

Originally posted by nkustura View Post
                    My English is perfect. And by the way, I speak five more languages.
                    My suggestion would be go into the local communities where the languages you speak are spoken. Give a tax question and answer at the local community center or the senior center and give part of the talk in their language.

Dusty

Comment

I have several clients who speak the same language as I, but when I try to explain tax issues they tell me I'm speaking a foreign language.
                      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

nkustra, you have gotten some good advice on referrals and speaking at community centers. I would also reach out to local attorneys who handle immigration issues. Having command of several languages should give you a competitive advantage with that clientele.

You might also think about checking into some retirement communities. There are often underserved persons there. If there are ethnic neighborhoods in your city seek out the neighborhood associations and see if they have a newsletter you can advertise in.
                        In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
                        Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Working...
                        X