Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fees should be rare

Originally posted by dyne View Post
    There are at least EIGHT fees of up to $30 which CAN be charged DAILY against your debit card.
    All credit cards (and checking accounts!) will charge you for "unusual" activity, but looking at the actual fee structure ( http://www.sctax.org/NR/rdonlyres/37...0511_FINAL.PDF ) it would appear that most reasonable folks could use the card without ever incurring any fees. So long as they use the card for purchases and not cash advances at ATMs, there should be ZERO charges.

Of course, if I were filing a SC return and a refund was in the works, a direct deposit would occur and this conversation would be over......

Yeah, the tie-in with BofA bothers me a bit, but such is life.

FE

Comment

I was wondering why all of the "fuss" as well, and did suggest maybe a software glitch, I tried a Test in my software using SC as the Resident State - mine indicated only a Direct Deposit - Checked the box "under the refund notice" for direct deposit or paper check, and looks like it should be good to bypass a "Debit Card"

Hmm

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by dyne View Post
        I contacted Drake Tax Software when I first encountered this issue and they advised me
        that South Carolina had specifically stated that the software COULD not make a global
        election or election to OPT OUT for all clients. Again this suggests that South Carolina
        is purposely attempting to take advantage of the residents.
        One wonders what they would say about interview-based software that forces the user to choose between direct deposit, mailed check, SC debit card, or (with suitable 7216) preparer-offered banking options? In other words, what if the software has no default, requires an answer, and doesn't give the SC debit card any special position?

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
          All credit cards (and checking accounts!) will charge you for "unusual" activity, but looking at the actual fee structure ( http://www.sctax.org/NR/rdonlyres/37...0511_FINAL.PDF ) it would appear that most reasonable folks could use the card without ever incurring any fees.
          The free "first teller cash withdrawal" is the big loophole that should serve people who would otherwise prefer a check. Case dismissed.

Comment

Excellent point!

Originally posted by Gary2 View Post
            The free "first teller cash withdrawal" is the big loophole that should serve people who would otherwise prefer a check. Case dismissed.
            I totally agree with your assessment.

For folks who don't wish to carry an extra "credit card" around, for all intents and purposes that option essentially amounts to cashing a (plastic) check.

But if I had a client across from me filing a SC return and receiving a refund, I would simply make a strong case to go with direct deposit in the first place!

FE

Comment

Working...
            X