No announcement yet.

Clients' & ERO PIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use the zip code of the client. Mine is my birthday.

Comment

Software

My software generates the clients' PINs (think it uses the end of their SSN with a digit for the year) at my request when I started using this software. I could generate mine also, but I entered the end of my PTIN when I went out on my own years ago and continue to use it.

Comment

... NYS "REQUIRES" bank debit. But I'm sure they will cash a check.
        Not accurate. They still take paper checks. See page 39 of the IT-201 instructions.

You may have been thinking about paper refund checks. They were to be eliminated this year, but then the legislature passed a law mandating that paper checks remain a refund option until 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
          My software generates the clients' PINs (think it uses the end of their SSN with a digit for the year) at my request when I started using this software. I could generate mine also, but I entered the end of my PTIN when I went out on my own years ago and continue to use it.
          Taxea mentioned this too, but I have been unable to find any such option in mine. I'm using their zip code for them and my PTIN for me.

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
            However, I urge ALL of my clients with a balance due to authorize a bank debit at the time of efiling. That takes care of any "I forgot" situations. You provide the RTN/DAN just like info used for direct deposits, AND you authorize a future date for the withdrawal. A lot of my clients will just use 04/10/2012 so that if there are issues they can solve them prior to 04/17. My client letter even says something alone the lines of "a bank debit of $x will occur on (date) for your balance due shown...be sure funds are in the bank...etc."

I heartily recommend it. Again, many of my clients...as well as myself...have used this method without any problems. For clients who may balk, explain to them that most "checks" now are processed in a similar way - the company makes a "demand" on the bank (using RTN/DAN) and the check never makes it back to the paying bank in the first place.

And in view of what BobW said about current requirements for NY, I do see a trend approaching....FE
            Good points.

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
              Thanks. I found it on the efile info worksheet in the software. Sorry to be such a doofus on all this.
              Tip: I also use this number for E-services and any other forms the taxing agencies ask for a TP Pin
              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

I have been doing electronic filing since 1988 and have had numerous conversation with the people that handle the process.

Although I am repeating myself, as it seems that many don't believe me, the pin can be the same for everyone because it is attached to the SS# of each taxpayer. " Social Security numbers are unique and the PIN gets attached to it during the E-File process", is the way it was explained to me by the E-File people.
                This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

I believe you. I just don't do it that way. Personal preference.

Comment

When I see people posting a web site that will spit out PIN numbers to use the hair on my neck rises. There is no secret to PIN numbers........................To each their own...............
                    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
                      Taxea mentioned this too, but I have been unable to find any such option in mine. I'm using their zip code for them and my PTIN for me.
                      Burke-that's because you are obviously not using ProSeries Pro...I feel for you, really.

Comment

You're right, but I do like my software. As an aside, I have rethought the matter of using the zip code as the PIN as too insecure. I am now using another method which is particular to each client (not SSN.)

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
                          When I see people posting a web site that will spit out PIN numbers to use the hair on my neck rises. There is no secret to PIN numbers........................To each their own...............
                          Bob...for those of us who are fortunate enough to have a program that automatically puts the pin in is a real time-saver. However I do agree with you about getting a pin from just any ole web site. That sure sounds unsafe to me.

Comment

Working...
                          X