Clients' & ERO PIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clients' & ERO PIN

I have tried to search this forum for what I know have been threads regarding PIN numbers for clients and ERO's but cannot get anything as PIN and ERO are too short and Efile and Clients are too common. Any help here?

PIN numbers need to be 5 digits. EVERY client can have the same pin. The pin is attached to the clients SS#. I use my zip code for all clients and myself.

Not sure if that is what you needed................
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Yup. That's what I was looking for. I know there was a thread on this a while back, maybe last year sometime......

So, the client PIN and the ERO PIN can be the same? Form 8879 instructions say "if the ERO is not using the Practitioner PIN method and the taxpayer enters his or her own PIN......THEN do not complete Form 8879." When would this happen?
      Last edited by Burke; 02-03-2012, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
        Yup. That's what I was looking for. I know there was a thread on this a while back, maybe last year sometime......

So, the client PIN and the ERO PIN can be the same? What is the point of the Practitioner PIN method?
        Don't know, but if it works I move on......................
        This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

So, the client PIN and the ERO PIN can be the same? Form 8879 instructions say "if the ERO is not using the Practitioner PIN method and the taxpayer enters his or her own PIN......THEN do not complete Form 8879." When would this happen?
          When you let the client type in his/her (personal) pin. I always check the box that I am selecting the pin for the client. So 8879 needs to be signed. But that is interesting way to get around getting signed 8879s.

Comment

Sorry, I modified my post while you were answering. In addition to my question above, the Form 8879 says in Part II that the taxpayer authorizes EFT withdrawal of any tax due by signing this form. Can they not just send a check for the tax due, rather than have it withdrawn from their account?

Comment

Form 1040-V is used. Be sure to delete any bank info in the file. NYS "REQUIRES" bank debit. But I'm sure they will cash a check.

Comment

pin numbers

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
                PIN numbers need to be 5 digits. EVERY client can have the same pin. The pin is attached to the clients SS#. I use my zip code for all clients and myself.

Not sure if that is what you needed................
                I found a web site that will generate random numbers of any length. I had it generate a few pages of 5 digit random numbers. Each time I use one I scratch it off the list. I use a new random number for every client and spouse on every return I do.

Comment

Burke...In most programs you can opt to have the last 5 digits of the SSN for each client be automatically placed in the pin box by the program
                  Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by jimenright View Post
                    I found a web site that will generate random numbers of any length. I had it generate a few pages of 5 digit random numbers. Each time I use one I scratch it off the list. I use a new random number for every client and spouse on every return I do.
                    Why bother, the 5 digits is attached to the client's SS# so it is different for every client using the same pin for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
                      Burke...In most programs you can opt to have the last 5 digits of the SSN for each client be automatically placed in the pin box by the program
                      I will definitely check that out.

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
                        Form 1040-V is used. Be sure to delete any bank info in the file. NYS "REQUIRES" bank debit. But I'm sure they will cash a check.
                        Thanks. I found it on the efile info worksheet in the software. Sorry to be such a doofus on all this.

Comment

Your program should generate 1040-V if direct debit is not being used.

Comment

It did. It's the worksheet that's the problem. It's not very user friendly. Took me a WHILE to figure it out.

Comment

Delaying balance due payments

Sorry, I modified my post while you were answering. In addition to my question above, the Form 8879 says in Part II that the taxpayer authorizes EFT withdrawal of any tax due by signing this form. Can they not just send a check for the tax due, rather than have it withdrawn from their account?
                              I think the verbiage you mention in Part II of the Form 8879 is just boilerplate.

A client can ALWAYS "send a check" with a Form 1040-V (and similar for state) which your software should automatically generate if there is a balance due and you do not authorize a bank debit. For clients who like to procrastinate, or owe a lot of money, this is a reasonable approach. "File now....pay later!"

However, I urge ALL of my clients with a balance due to authorize a bank debit at the time of efiling. That takes care of any "I forgot" situations. You provide the RTN/DAN just like info used for direct deposits, AND you authorize a future date for the withdrawal. A lot of my clients will just use 04/10/2012 so that if there are issues they can solve them prior to 04/17. My client letter even says something alone the lines of "a bank debit of $x will occur on (date) for your balance due shown...be sure funds are in the bank...etc."

I heartily recommend it. Again, many of my clients...as well as myself...have used this method without any problems. For clients who may balk, explain to them that most "checks" now are processed in a similar way - the company makes a "demand" on the bank (using RTN/DAN) and the check never makes it back to the paying bank in the first place.

And in view of what BobW said about current requirements for NY, I do see a trend approaching....

FE

Comment

Working...
                              X