Paper Vs Electronic Client Copy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paper Vs Electronic Client Copy

We all know that we have to give the client a copy of their return. Quite aside from any legal requirement or client expectation it would be unconscionable not to. However, I don't think there is any requirement that it be a paper copy. (Be sure and speak up if I'm wrong or if that statement is even debatable.) So how do people give clients their copies and does anyone charge extra for a paper copy?
    I usually give a paper copy.
    71.67%
    If I give a paper copy I charge extra.
    5.00%
    I sometimes give the client their return electronically.
    11.67%
    I prefer to give an electronic copy.
    11.67%

I checked three of your choices, 2, 3 and 4. I charge $25 extra if a client paper files.

Edit: Sorry, I misread your poll. Client will get a paper copy, if they want one, but I prefer to give them an electronic copy and about a dozen clients like that. My goal there would be 100%.
    Last edited by DTS; 01-07-2012, 06:23 PM.

Comment

I like 1, 3 or 4 and do combination of.

I do charge for the mailing of the paper copy in my overall invoice.

I still have clients, that either don't have email or are not comfortable with electronic - pdf copies.

So, I try to accomodate the client's needs or wants - without thinking about it too much.

Sandy

Comment

My practices

I charge $25 to paper file a return that could be efiled. This year at least I will let the fee slide for people who would have to efile imperfect returns since that is new and I don't know how it's going to work and therefore don't want to pressure clients at that point.

If a client paper files a paper copy for their files is included. If they efile, a paper copy for their records is $15 extra. While I will have a busy day this coming Tuesday, the week won't be busy and even the next week won't be very busy so I'm still ordering things and even making final decisions about how I will conduct business this season. I will make a decision this weekend and order either a bunch of low capacity thumb drives or blank CDs and cardboard holders. Whichever I get will be imprinted with my name my business name and contact information.

Comment

Paper copies all around

Right now I always give my clients a printed/paper copy of their tax return.

One reason for doing so is that I also include some explanatory worksheets (such as how Social Security benefits were taxed, or details of capital loss carryovers, or even a depreciation summary) as a courtesy. Such is not technically part of "the tax return" but my clients appreciate such extra effort.

Some clients also request an electronic/PDF copy, and I always comply with no additional charges. The issue of dumping the file onto media has never occurred, but I would certainly have to consider additional charges for providing a DVD or flash drive.

As for charging extra to print a client copy (regardless of whether the tax return itself was efiled....but most/all are!) I consider that practice unconscionable. I do charge an additional fixed amount, mainly to cover my costs, to mail the tax returns back to a client.

FE

Comment

I provide the required copy manually....any additional I charge 50. It irritates the hell out of me when businesses assume that everyone has the means of opening/reading an electronic/digital. Not everyone has a computer or is computer literate.
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

I give them a paper copy of the return.Most of my clients prefer a paper copy. I have a couple of clients that live out of town. I will email their return to them if they choose.

I guess I need to look into sending it in a safe way...not just attached to an email if I am going to do that. Hmmmm.....another thread to investigate.

Linda, EA

Comment

We always provide a paper copy along with their documentation. We do charge for additional copies. With Drake we can email the pdf copy with password protection. I have out of town clients who like to review the email copy, but we do have paper copies for them also.

Comment

We give a paper copy. Our copy is stored on the harddrive along with scans of their backup information. If they want an electronic copy we will provide it at no extra charge.
                  In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
                  Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
                    I give them a paper copy of the return.Most of my clients prefer a paper copy. I have a couple of clients that live out of town. I will email their return to them if they choose.

I guess I need to look into sending it in a safe way...not just attached to an email if I am going to do that. Hmmmm.....another thread to investigate.

Linda, EA
                    I'd be very wary of emailing any document, like a tax return, to anyone even if it is password protected. Have you consider getting a portal system where every client has his or her own portal? That way, you are much more secure when exchanging documents.

I will not email any document to a client. If they want it, the document goes snail mail or is uploaded to a personal portal.

Comment

I have actually only emailed the 8879 to them to sign and send back to me. Then I mail the return to them.
                      I know that I would have to have a secure way to actually send the tax return to them. I'll look into that later.

Linda, EA

Comment

I won't email anything that has any sensitive client data on it. It's one of the reasons I got my website; it has a secure portal. You might want to check Circ. 230 about emailing and security of client documents. Now if they want to email YOU stuff, you have no control over it. But there are restrictions on what you can do.

Comment

There are interesting trade-offs between the security of information that you encrypt yourself versus the security of a web portal operated by a third party.

Both are vulnerable to attacks on your system (e.g. a keylogger trojan), so that's a wash. With the email approach, the information is subject to brute force attacks, including password attacks, as well as those cryptographic (i.e., mathematically sophisticated) attacks that benefit from having a complete message and a known subject domain.

A web portal, on the other hand, adds another link to the chain. It's dependent on the security of the portal, which can be harder to gauge than the security of an encryption program. It's also vulnerable to social engineering attacks, since there are now more people in the loop with potential access to the information. Can you get independent verification that the portal operator does background checks on employees, limits access to those with a need, and gets reviewed by independent security experts?

Comment

I give EVERYONE a physical copy of their return in an envelope with their documents. I know few read the return but some do. If it were electronic, I'm doubtful any would look it over.

One client receives his digitally and it's because he's always desperate. They have an investment club partnership and I email him everything so he can then email out the k-1's. It's 100% his choice to do it that way.

FREE SOFTWARE - PrimoPDF will allow you to generate pdf files with password protection. You can get it at download.com
                            Last edited by Roberts; 01-10-2012, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roberts View Post
                              FREE SOFTWARE - PrimoPDF will allow you to generate pdf files with password protection. You can get it at download.com
                              Just a reminder. As I've pointed out in the past, "password protection" is not synonymous with encryption. If it's at all recent, it's probably encrypted because the underlying encryption software is readily available. However there was a time when password protection was only intended to keep things from unintentional or uneducated eyes.

Comment

Working...
                              X