IRS begins accepting PTIN renewals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NAEA E@lert Release Late 10/21/11

Here is what NAEA released today 10/21/11 - maybe it will assist some of you

PTIN Renewals: Get 'Em While They're Hot!
    IRS announced yesterday that it had opened the PTIN window for those who need to renew their PTINs for 2012 (and that includes all of our readers!).

Details you need to know:
    1. Renewals should be done online www.irs.gov/ptin for those who created an account last year.
    2. The PTIN renewal fee for 2012 is $63 (the initial application fee remains at $64.25).
    3. All EAs need to obtain a PTIN, even those who focus solely on representation.
    4. EAs who used paper applications (Form W-12) last year will receive an activation in the mail and should use it to create an online account. (If you insist on re-applying on paper, here's the new version of the Form W-12, but note that it will take many weeks for IRS to turn around your request).
    5. Legacy Circular 230 practitioners, including EAs, will need to provide the expiration date of their licenses.
    6. Legacy Circular 230-supervised preparers will need to provide a supervisor's PTIN when applying for and/or renewing their PTINs.

Remember that supervised preparers are those who do not sign the returns they prepare or help prepare; work at a firm at least 80 percent owned by an attorney, enrolled agent or certified public accountant; and, prepare returns that are signed by a supervisor who is an attorney, enrolled agent or certified public accountant.

More details are available on IRS' press release, while general information for tax professionals is available here.

Also, please don't forget that renewing your PTIN does not get you into IRS' e-file program. We reported last week that the second phase of the e-file mandate comes into effect in 2012 and those of you who expect to prepare 11 or more Form 1040 and/or Form 1041 returns next year will need to submit applications to become part of the e-file program.
    Link to online Renewals http://www.irs.gov/taxpros/article/0,,id=210909,00.html

Link to W-12 http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw12.pdf
    Link to IRS press release IR-2011-105 10-20-2011 http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...248572,00.html

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
      Tonight I went through the online PTIN renewal process.

Everything went fine, to include obtaining a PDF/printable copy of the 2-page application summary.

However, at the end I received this cute message: "Your application data was submitted successfully but the system was not able to calculate your fee."

I thought the fee was FIXED.

Has anyone else encountered this blockade? And, if so, what do I do next and when do I do it???

Thanks!

FE
      Having the same problem---will try again during the week-end---if no luck, will call IRS Monday.

Comment

I am having the same problem

Originally posted by Gene V View Post
        Having the same problem---will try again during the week-end---if no luck, will call IRS Monday.
        It states the application is only missing my fee and to click on "Pay now"; I don't see this option on any page. I'd be glad to pay but the IRS is not giving me the option.

Ah, well I am not too upset because the Rangers are tied with the Cardinals!!! Go Rangers!!! Don't miss tonight's game!
        Circular 230 Disclosure:

Don't even think about using the information in this message!

Comment

Persistence !!

Originally posted by DaveinTexas View Post
          It states the application is only missing my fee and to click on "Pay now"; I don't see this option on any page. I'd be glad to pay but the IRS is not giving me the option.
          Well, at least you got one step closer than I did last night.

On a brighter note, I tried again this morning (Saturday). The amount due ($63.00) was shown, and after a few quibbles over my credit card information the payment was eventually accepted.

I guess barring any more notices from the IRS I am now good through the end of 2012?

FE

Comment

Quick - Fast - The way it was meant to be...

I went online early on the 20th -- around 1pm EST..
            By 2pm I had my welcome letter and everything... It was flawless..

Hope you guys get there too!!

Originally posted by S T View Post
            Went online to PTIN tonight around 10PM EST - all went fine, renewal processed, received Paid fee Confirmation, and about an hour later received the PTIN Renewal Welcome Letter via the PTIN account mailbox.

Took less than 10 minutes for renewal, as all of the information was there - all you needed to do was to make any necessary changes or updates and answer a few yes/no questions.

Sandy
            Matthew Jones
            Tax Preparation
            Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
            Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveinTexas View Post

Ah, well I am not too upset because the Rangers are tied with the Cardinals!!! Go Rangers!!! Don't miss tonight's game!
              The first time I tried, it went all the way to accept payment, when I submit payment, it return me to the main menu. I tried again and got the same response as you did, with
              no option to pay.

I checked my credit card this morning and their was a $63.00 charge from the IRS Tax Pro PTIN Fee.

May still have to call them--never received any letter.

Comment

I finally got mine accepted this morning after about 5 tries. Our gov't is so efficient.
                You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Try, try again

I tried several times Saturday morning but I couldn't get the payment part to work.
                  I went back in later, in the afternoon, and was able to pay.

I had the same trouble with renewing my CPA license Saturday. It is due to expire in November 2011, so I wanted to get it renewed so the IRS would not quibble about the expiration date being before next tax season started.

I got all the way to the payment and then got an error message. Finally today, Sunday, I was able to pay for my CPA license renewal, so now I'm set for next tax season.

Comment

Online PTIN Renewal Application

My PTIN renewal went through fine, payment was recorded, welcome letter etc, but in the bottom section under "next steps" it stated I needed to register for the Competency Exam (which the registration process is not yet available until "November"). I thought active EA's were exempt. I noted my EA expiration date of 3/13, where it was required. Am I mistaken on this, or is the website in error?

Robin

Comment

Ptin

I would call them and make sure they now you are an EA. When I was at the IRS seminar I checked and they did not have me listed as an EA.I was able to take care of it there and they gave me my new profile which showed EA and exempt from testing.

Comment

MLINDER42- thank you for the suggestion to call the PTIN help line. After numerous attempts to get through......It appeared I had filled out everything correctly but apparently there is a glitch in the process for EA's. I was able to have it corrected on the spot and the message that I needed to take the competency test disappeared.

Robin

Comment

Working...
                        X