• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virus Software...

Thought I already posted this..
    Survey time... Few items...

1) Who do you use as your ISP??
    2) What product do you use for your Virus Software??
    3) On average how much do you pay for your Virus Software??
    4) Do you keep it current...

I will elaborate when I see some of the 'expected' responsess.
    Matthew Jones
    Tax Preparation
    Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
    Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Answers

Ummm... we use antivirus software.

Who would want to buy a virus?

This probably isn't your "expected" answer...

My firm is very small, and we have only two desktop PCs in the office. However, between the PCs in the office, the laptops we use for business, and my family, I am directly or indirectly responsible for about ten computers. I am essentially the IT guy. None of the computers are networked through a server--not even the two PCs in the office.

At the office, our ISP is AT&T business class DSL.
    At home, we have RoadRunner consumer service, at the 7.0 Mbps speed level.
    While in motion, we have a "Mobile Hotspot" from Verizon Wireless. It is one of the new 4G LTE devices, which, in those markets where it has become available, offers connection speeds that are comparable to hardwired high-speed internet.

For AV software, we use BitDefender on all the PCs. The machines used for tax and business apps have BitDefender Internet Security, which includes a firewall. The personal machines have the more basic BitDefender Antivirus, without the firewall. (These machines are running the built-in Windows firewall.)

We have purchased BitDefender in several packages, for multiple PCs, with multi-year subscriptions. Our average cost is probably about $15, per year, per computer.

Overall, we have been satisfied with BitDefender.

Maybe this is way more info that you were looking for, but the ten or so PCs that I look after run the gamut in brand and OS. One is running Windows Vista (don't remember whether it's Home Basic or Home Premium). Our office machines are all running Win XP Pro. There's a personal laptop running Win 7 Home Premium, and another running Win 7 Professional. The brands are a mix, too, because they were purchased at different times. We have several Dells, one Acer, and a couple HPs. So I see pretty much of everything.

Just last week, my office desktop became infected with a rogue security program called XP Security 2011. BitDefender didn't catch it. I had to research it online, and find an executable file to run in order to remove the registry entries that were hijacking the browser. Then, to completely clean out the virus, I used Malware Bytes Anti-Malware, also known as MBAM.

But that was an isolated incident. In general, I've been pleased with BitDefender's performance. Our machines stay very clean. BitDefender slows the boot time on the laptops a bit, but I can live with that.

BMK
    Burton M. Koss
    koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Question #4

Yes, we keep the AV program current. But everything's relative. What I think of as current may not be the same as someone else's idea.

The default settings on BitDefender would have the program checking for an update every six hours. And BitDefender does in fact release a new AV signature file, or some sort of update, at least three or four times a day.

But that's overkill for me. I have it set to look for an update every twelve hours, and to prompt me before downloading it. And if I'm in the middle of something that is processor-intensive, I'll say no to the prompt in a heartbeat.

That's on my office PC. I think for the consumer/family PCs I have it set to an automatic update, without a prompt, either every 12 or 24 hours. We don't have teenagers or other totally clueless people using these computers. It may sound a bit arrogant, but in general, I think most of the people using the PCs I manage have reasonably safe and responsible browsing habits.

BMK
      Burton M. Koss
      koss@usakoss.net

Comment

here goes

ISP - dominant one is Wildblue which is satellite internet since nothing else but dialup is available here. We're also paying for MSN and ATT dialup so we can keep our email addresses. I keep hearing that we could do that anyway and I keep meaning to look into that.

AV - I think a better question would be "What Security Solutions do you use?" so I'll answer that one. My family uses three laptops and the one I use most has a Virtual Machine so effectively that's four computers to protect.

The following applies to my work computer and the newer of the non work machines. I use Kaspersky Internet Security Suite for I think about 25 bucks per license per year. I actually buy it at the rate of three licenses for three years at a time. The Suite provides Anti Virus and Anti Spyware and Firewall with real time protection. I understand that it's a bad idea to have more than one real time protector running at a time. I run scans weekly with Kaspersky but also with Ad Aware Pro including AV protection and Malwarebytes free edition. I have a subscription to the paid version of Spybot but it isn't currently installed atm.

The Virtual Machine exists solely to run XP so I can run a free nifty financial calculator a vendor gave me. Since I couldn't figure out how to not have this automatically connect to the internet given that it runs on an automatically connected Win 7 computer I felt that some protective software was in order but I wasn't going to pay for any. So the VM has Zone Alarm Firewall, AVG antivirus, Malwarebytes and Ad Aware, all free editions except Ad Aware which I have a spare license for.

We also have an older laptop that we occasionally use and it is protected by AVG Free AV, Zone Alarm Firewall Free, and a free Microsoft Program the name of which escapes me atm.

I do definitely keep everything updated on the two most used computers but the oldest one I simply tell people I need 24 hours notice of intent to use and I update it before letting them have it. I would be more likely to go see a client with no pants on than to go on the internet with out of date security or OS software.

Comment

Koss - Malware Bytes

Koss, is the following site the website you downloaded this program from?

Protect your home and business PCs, Macs, iOS and Android devices from the latest cyber threats and malware, including ransomware.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
            Koss, is the following site the website you downloaded this program from?

http://www.malwarebytes.org/
            That is the vendor's website that Burton is referring to.

The download usually directs you to another site, (Major Geeks as I recall).

The product is quite good, although it keeps trying to get you to purchase the fee-based version.
            Doug

Comment

Should I remove these files?

When "Mulware Bytes" did a scan, it came up with these 2 files for which I can remove:

Malware.trace File
              Adware.MyWebSearch Registry Key

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
                When "Mulware Bytes" did a scan, it came up with these 2 files for which I can remove:

Malware.trace File
                Adware.MyWebSearch Registry Key
                Both of those are the result of a malware infiltration and should be removed.

I cannot say for certain that they did not do more harm than can be corrected, but Malwarebytes has always removed such items as carefully as they can be removed. The point I am trying to make is that some of these pesty intrusions leave a machine in a less than perfect state when they are removed. I have never had that happen, but you need to know that it is a risk.

One thing that is common is that the internet connection settings get messed up. There is always the chance that you would need be able to boot but may not have access to the internet after this fix. If you are using Windows XP, it would not hurt to have this tool on a thumb drive and a printed set of instructions:

Fixes the winsock settings on your Windows XP machine. This tool is recommended for IT professionals only. Please read license. ...

It fixes most connection issues caused by malware removal.

Truly, most times nothing will be damaged when Malwarebytes removes malware, and it can generally put the malware back if you find you have to (to restore stability).

Good luck.

If you don't have a backup from before the infection, you may just need to
                Doug

Comment

Microsoft Security Essentials

Over a year ago, I ended up with a virus on one of my computers. I had an active subscription at the time to McAfee. I believe my subscription cost me around $79.00 for three computers. When one of the computers ended up with a virus, I called McAfee expecting them to assist me in getting the virus off my computer. They told me there would be a "fee" involved....couldn't remember the exact amount but it wasn't cheap.

After consulting with a friend who is a computer geek, found out how to quarantine the virus and then proceeded to DUMP McAfee. I had heard from someone (can't remember who now....old age!) that Microsoft Security Essentials was a wonderful product and free to use. Microsoft Security Essentials can be downloaded from Microsoft free of charge. It has done a superb job so far....no complaints and I have money in my pocket!

Mo

Comment

Me too

I had used Norton, and that just gave all kinds of grief, and one computer became infected, and their support was not good, then switched to MS Live One Care for an inexpensive subscription - then MS "dumped" that program, and came out with Security Essentials which is free. So have been using that.

Not certain, but I believe, Security Essentials DOES NOT like another Malware running, Maybe MAJ or someone knows more

So far so good!

Sandy

Comment

We've always used Norton and have had no problems. I have on one computer turned off the automatic update and do it manually, but I do that for other programs also because it bugs me that they interfere for a split second with what I'm trying to do by their boxes and notices.
                      JG

Comment

Anti virus

Originally posted by MAJ View Post
                        Thought I already posted this..
                        Survey time... Few items...

1) Who do you use as your ISP??
                        2) What product do you use for your Virus Software??
                        3) On average how much do you pay for your Virus Software??
                        4) Do you keep it current...

I will elaborate when I see some of the 'expected' responsess.
                        Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) - keep it current and ran a scan weekly

Comment

I use plain old Norton Antirus on all my computers at home and 1 at work. And yes, I keep it updated. I have used McAfee and Norton Internet Security, McAfee gave me problems, Norton Internet Security was a NIGHTMARE so I switched to plain old antivirus.

Comment

Working...
                          X