Form 1310? Death of Child

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
    I was just thinking about this, and have a return with a Form 1310 right now (mother for deceased adult son). If the CHECK is issued in the name of the person shown on the Form 1310, wouldn't it be safe to ask for a direct deposit to the person's (on the 1310) account, too?

It is not that big a deal to this client, but I thought I'd fill out the direct deposit info since I just used it on her own return. What do you think?
    You could try the direct-deposit route in this case; if it won't fly, it will automatically default to a paper check. If you do, let us know how it worked.

Comment

10-4

Originally posted by Burke View Post
      You could try the direct-deposit route in this case; if it won't fly, it will automatically default to a paper check. If you do, let us know how it worked.
      Yeah, that's what I told the lady. She was all for it. Will let you know, distinguished colleagues.
      If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Success!

Originally posted by Burke View Post
        Just to follow up for the benefit of those who will search for this next year (probably me!) My client just called and said the direct deposit was made to her account on May 16. She does not have the same last name as her deceased son.
        If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
          Just to follow up for the benefit of those who will search for this next year (probably me!) My client just called and said the direct deposit was made to her account on May 16. She does not have the same last name as her deceased son.
          My experience is that if the RTN & acct# is correct, it goes, regardless of name.

Comment

When my daughter died, she had worked a little bit the year before. I filed her tax return and had the refund deposited to my bank account. It went right through. In fact, when she was still alive, her refund went to my account several times. Never had a problem.

I meant to add that I filed a return for a deceased taxpayer last year. He had a refund coming. We did the 1310 and his daughter as the one claiming the refund. She still hasn't gotten it. I got a letter that said they couldn't deliver the check. BUT the letter came to me.

Linda, EA
            Last edited by oceanlovin'ea; 06-18-2012, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X