Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can mom sign for dependent son who is away at college?

yes

yes.. sign his name and then "by" "name" , parent.
    AJ, EA

Comment

Disagree.

I would like to see where you got the info that it is ok to sign someone else's Form 8879 for an adult who is over the age 18, without a power of attorney?

Comment

No

Just email the 8897 to the student. Have them print it, sign it, and mail it back to you. We do this all the time, with snow birds too.

Comment

I also use the email method, works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by MRPLOW View Post
            Disagree.

I would like to see where you got the info that it is ok to sign someone else's Form 8879 for an adult who is over the age 18, without a power of attorney?
            IF THEY QUALIFY AS DEPENDENT
            AJ, EA

Comment

Originally posted by AJsTax View Post
              The only thing close to this that I've seen is for the parent to sign for a minor child who isn't capable of signing - e.g., the infant models on the baby food jars. I've never seen anything say that a parent can sign the return or 8879 for a dependent who's capable of signing it themselves.

Comment

Why complicate things?

The lawyers can discuss whether it is legal for the parent to sign. Quite frankly, I would not allow a parent to sign.

On a more relevant point, this issue could easily be resolved with a simple email attachment or the use of a 44¢ postage stamp.......

FE

Comment

Absolutely not.

Each must sign.

Even dependents unless they are too young to actually sign their name.
                  ChEAr$,
                  Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

I will have to agree to disagree.

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
                    Absolutely not.

Each must sign.

Even dependents unless they are too young to actually sign their name.
                    We have always allowed parents to sign for dependents in every office I have worked over the past 15 or more years.
                    I will not change our methods unless I see something that is very definitive. I have only read the opposite, they can sign.
                    Is it correct, I am not sure..but I will not change now.
                    AJ, EA

Comment

Signature by proxy?

We have always allowed parents to sign for dependents in every office I have worked over the past 15 or more years.
                      I will not change our methods unless I see something that is very definitive. I have only read the opposite, they can sign.
                      Is it correct, I am not sure..but I will not change now.
                      I think perhaps there is a clear difference between a minor versus a dependent....

What if the dependent were a 24 YOA graduate student.....or even a parent???

Although I try to learn something new every day, I am not yet convinced the parent can legally sign in the situation presented.

FE

Comment

Should have clarified in your first post that it was your office's policy to allow parents to sign the 8879.

Your office's policy does not make it legal or right. I would be delighted if I could be shown otherwise, would make life easier for me on those college dependent returns.

gman, I would assume, was asking the question because he wanted to know the correct legal answer.

Comment

Just curious

Have any one of you ever had to show the IRS the 8879 to verify the signature?

Comment

Originally posted by Henrij View Post
                            Have any one of you ever had to show the IRS the 8879 to verify the signature?
                            Never. But if they ever do, they will see some signed by minor children! (grin
                            ChEAr$,
                            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

The opinion does have legal bais,

Originally posted by MRPLOW View Post
                              Should have clarified in your first post that it was your office's policy to allow parents to sign the 8879.

Your office's policy does not make it legal or right. I would be delighted if I could be shown otherwise, would make life easier for me on those college dependent returns.

gman, I would assume, was asking the question because he wanted to know the correct legal answer.
                              as do all our actions. At least we strive for that. I would not have carried that opinion for so long without basis.
                              this is quote from IRS instructions:

"Child's return. If a child has to file a tax return but cannot sign the return, the child's parent, guardian, or another legally responsible person must sign the child's name, followed by the words “By (your signature), parent for minor child.”

This one says "child" without definition and in the final part "minor child". I still do not believe alone disqualifies the parent from signing for a dependent child away at college.
                              Do we send some to college to be signed?, sure...but at times it is not practical.
                              Now what all would construe "cannot sign the return"? A child at school can not sign the return at that time so a parent should be allowed to. The IRS does give us permission to have a parent sign that return.
                              AJ, EA

Comment

Working...
                              X