TaxWorks users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TaxWorks users

Any users getting weird error messages when inputting data and the program shuts down in seconds? I am and am real tired of it. It's happened with every client I've worked on. I have called tech support a few times, sent them screen shots of the three different error messages, etc, but nothing resolved at this point. Tech support can't reproduce the error messages.

Every year I threaten to go back to Lacerte and this may be the final straw!

Let me know what you all are encountering, if anything.

Originally posted by DTS View Post
    Any users getting weird error messages when inputting data and the program shuts down in seconds? I am and am real tired of it. It's happened with every client I've worked on. I have called tech support a few times, sent them screen shots of the three different error messages, etc, but nothing resolved at this point. Tech support can't reproduce the error messages.

Every year I threaten to go back to Lacerte and this may be the final straw!

Let me know what you all are encountering, if anything.
    Dennis, it sounds like it might be your computer.. Do you have all the Microsoft Updates?
    What version of windows are you running?

What about a virus? Or low memory? Are you doing a "Disk Clean" often? How about Defraging your HD?

Of course, don't forget to re-boot your computer every so often.

These are some of what I do when things aren't going right. I know that you know of all of these mentioned items but just listing them here again.
    Last edited by BOB W; 02-08-2011, 09:45 AM.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

not his computer

NO it is not his computer, mine is doing the same. I am getting tired of it also....having to restart the whole program several times a day.....

Not at all happy

Comment

Originally posted by gman View Post
        NO it is not his computer, mine is doing the same. I am getting tired of it also....having to restart the whole program several times a day.....

Not at all happy
        Are you doing what I mentioned to Dennis?
        This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Bob

Hi Bob. I do all of the things you mentioned every week. With gman, this now makes three of us (another colleague). I just found out there is another upgrade to the program that came in late last night that may address this problem. I was on the phone with support for an hour yesterday (nothing resolved) and a follow-up email conversation with another member of support and I stated to her nothing had been resolved. So, this new upgrade might be the fix was looking for.

Gman, contact support and your regional sales rep, if you haven't already. The more all users with the problem do, the faster things will get better.

Comment

I also use Taxworks and

have had several different error messages appear, usually after installing the most recent updates. I have the upgrader set to download the updates automatically, but I choose when to install. Usually installation of the new upgrade seems to get rid of the most recent error messages. The program never shut down on me, though.

I never took the time to forward those error messages, as the next upgrade seemed to fix the problem each time.

I want to add that I have been using Taxworks since TY2002 and this is the first time I've had this problem. Also, I am still running on Windows XP Pro, and will probably need to upgrade my computer for next tax season.
            Last edited by bgiez; 02-08-2011, 12:18 PM. Reason: add'l info

Comment

Originally posted by bgiez View Post
              have had several different error messages appear, usually after installing the most recent updates. I have the upgrader set to download the updates automatically, but I choose when to install. Usually installation of the new upgrade seems to get rid of the most recent error messages. The program never shut down on me, though.

I never took the time to forward those error messages, as the next upgrade seemed to fix the problem each time.

I want to add that I have been using Taxworks since TY2002 and this is the first time I've had this problem. Also, I am still running on Windows XP Pro, and will probably need to upgrade my computer for next tax season.
              I'm on XP Pro, as well, which TW still supports. The email I got yesterday asked if my o/s was Windows 7 or Vista and there was a fix for those two, but nothing needed for XP.

I've been using TW since '04 and there are some minor irritations from year to year, but nothing like this. I have installed the upgrade 8.6 and am getting ready to start work (with my fingers crossed!) on a couple new returns. Will keep posting.

Comment

I am a new user to 1040 Works this year, and I have had all sorts of error messages. I have called support at least 4 times. They have tried a few things, but the messages are still coming. It is embarrassing when I am doing a clients return. Yes I reboot, scan disks, defrag etc etc. I have PC Pitstop and Registry booster. Glad to hear it is not just me.

Comment

upgraded

Uprgraded and it seems to be working now. Hope the problem is fixed...

Comment

I use ATX but I tried the tax works software install and started having horrible problems with my computer, it would just shut down in the middle of me working and I got lots of weird error messages all the time. I uninstalled that software and I've had no computer problems whatsoever. I think that software messed my system up somehow. I'm no computer expert, just my two cents.

Comment

I'm new to TaxWorks also via TRX, not a major fan but its growing on me as the season progresses. Reality is I had the same feelings about Intellitax prior and then ended up really loving it. Had the SHUTDOWN problem about a month ago when I started my first return and it cleared up 2 days later on an upgrade.

Had an efile problem last week and that cleared up. Still occasionally says I have a .net problem.

9 years of doing taxes and 5 different software programs and I've never once called tech support.

Let's see I've used:
                      TaxAct - liked it, not cost efficient once you hit a certain scale of business
                      Proseries - hated everything about it
                      ATX - really liked it but TRX pricing sold me on Intellitax
                      Intellitax - loved everything about it. Easily my favorite so far.
                      and now TaxWorks. I'm not sure if I love the basic asset manager that comes with it or if I absolutely love it. It's so quick and easy I'm sure I'm screwing something up.
                      Last edited by Roberts; 02-09-2011, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Sorry you are having so many problems Piglee.

Originally posted by Piglee View Post
                        I am a new user to 1040 Works this year, and I have had all sorts of error messages. I have called support at least 4 times. They have tried a few things, but the messages are still coming. It is embarrassing when I am doing a clients return. Yes I reboot, scan disks, defrag etc etc. I have PC Pitstop and Registry booster. Glad to hear it is not just me.
                        We use the same software and I have encountered no problems so far. My downloads have been automatic and once given the go ahead to install has worked seamlessly with the software. My OS is windows 7.

Peachie

Comment

I too use TWorks and XP
                          The problem seems to be with the auto updater
                          I completley shut it down and the program stayed stable today!
                          I will go back to manually updating as I did in the past

Comment

I did not work in the program yesterday like I planned, but am starting to right now and from all the posts it sounds like things are working OK now.

Comment

TaxWorks Since 2003

I don't use the New Auto Upgrader - I manually check and install - i like the old system better

I also don't upgrade all of my clients at once, only as I receive them in for the new year

For prior year users, you have to make sure that your 2009 TW was totally upgraded to the most current, before upgrading your clients into 2010 (That was a tip I received from support) for what it is worth.
                              I am currently on line with TW as I have a very large client that "will not" upgrade

Sandy

Comment

Working...
                              X