Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change can be a bummer

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
    I continue to insist that none of my clients want to efile because up until now if they insist on efiling they're no longer my clients. Guess that policy will have to change in the next year or two.
    Très intéressant !!

Since we both are in NC, it's gotta be that Mecklenburg County atmosphere clouding your judgment.

As for efiling: Clients love it, I love it (less paperwork/printing/postage costs), and if there are any "issues" that arise I find out within 24 hours as opposed to waiting for those snail mail surprises to arrive from the IRS/NCDOR. And, of course, you also receive an electronic confirmation that your returns have safely arrived in the appropriate government computers without some dimwit having to retype all of your numbers from the paper forms.

The Form 8879 "problem" is minimal, and the joint signature issues can be solved with a 44¢ stamp/return envelope and minimal delay, or even faster with a scanned/emailed PDF file sent to me. (I bet you only use a fax?)

The only tax returns my clients receive have "COPY" stamped in large letters on the first/signature pages. Only the truly mentally challenged would ever try to mail those, especially in the total absence of any mailing addresses other than my business letterhead.

Still running those check tapes??

(Please - I'm just kidding - it's certainly your choice as to how to run your business, but I do see some IRS "suggestions" becoming more common and thereby exerting a little influence on your operations.)

Best!

FE

Comment

Clouded judgement is a requirement for living in Mecklenburg County. That's the only way to explain why we keep subjecting ourselves to the abuse & debt heaped upon the taxpayers by our politicians. Especially since there's an option to move across the line 5 miles or less into York County, SC where there's slightly more sanity in government.

(I don't actually attach the tapes to my copies, but I do still frequently run a quick check of totals when there are multiple W-2 forms attached to the return.)
      Last edited by JohnH; 08-20-2010, 07:13 AM.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

One flew over the Queen City's nest

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
        Clouded judgement is a requirement for living in Mecklenburg County. That's the only way to explain why we keep subjecting ourselves to the abuse & debt heaped upon the taxpayers by our politicians. Especially since there's an option to move across the line 5 miles or less into York County, SC where there's slightly more sanity in government.
        I understand. Actually be very thankful you are not close enough to the Raleigh area to smell the stench from the government offices downtown, now to include Garner (home of the infamous SBI!).

FWIW, way too many years ago I made my grand entrance into the world in SC.

I bet you prepare a lot of NC/SC tax returns for the commuters et al. I always found the SC tax return quite entertaining - IIRC you are either a full-year resident or a non-resident, with nothing in-between?

FE
        Last edited by FEDUKE404; 08-20-2010, 08:05 AM. Reason: "Post" is NOT the same as "preview..." Need coffee!!

Comment

Power to the Petrified

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
          Next thing, they'll be wantin' us to give up carbon paper.
          They'll have to pry it out of our cold purple fingers.
          If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Let me get this straight. You give/mail/deliver return (copy only) to TP(s) with 8879 to sign. Then you efile only when this is returned? What if you do not get it back? What if you get it back, but return is still not paid for? Do you hold efile for payment? How do you monitor who has been efiled and who hasn't (or won't be?) Do you follow up with TP for form? Do you notify TP(s) of efile acceptance? Rejects? (I assume 8879 cannot be sent with client letter at beginning of season since they must certify the return is correct as prepared after they review). If rejected, do you then give/mail/deliver a mailable copy to TP? And this same process goes for efiling the state as well?
            Last edited by Burke; 08-23-2010, 01:24 PM.

Comment

I have efiled for years, and I have had no problem. If the people did not sign the forms when they were here for the apt, here is what I do. When I mail them a copy of their return, I also mail the 8879's forms to be signed. I highlight where to sign and also put red stickers "SIGN HERE". Then I attach (usually of very bright paper) about 2" x 6", that reads, in large bold print. I also include a pre addressed envelope.

PLEASE SIGN AND RETURN TO ME.

I CANNOT F-FILE YOUR RETURN UNTIL I RECEIVE THESE SIGNED PAGES.

FAX::: ???_???_????
              EMAIL::::::????@???
              OR MAIL TO:::: ??????,??, 12345

If you are concerned about payment, you might also add a line about "Payment must also be included", and maybe put a stamp on the envelope.

I love e-filing and have been doing it since 1991, it saves me so much time and supplies, which is important if you no longer have employees to do the assembly work.

I have a few of my mail in's that have always paper filed. When I send them their year end letter I am going to include a paper about e-filing and how the system works, so they won't be confused, and hopefully will save having to explain it over the phone.

Comment

Irs

IRS has an e-file marketing package with some great brochures and other items. I love the little yellow and blue stickers I put on the client copy of e-filed returns. But, they have a great brochure, too. You can reorder any of the items in the kit. The brochure is Pub 3007

Comment

And,

More and more of my clients mail/fedex/etc. me their materials. They like email. So, I email them a .pdf of their return with any signature pages or post it on my web site's FileShare. They sign and scan/email or fax back Form 8879. (They're usually paying via credit card unless they were here in person and wrote me a check.)

You do need to know your state's requirements re encryption of tax info if using email. I'm trying to migrate my clients to using FileShare on my web site.

Comment

Originally posted by Piglee View Post
                    If the people did not sign the forms when they were here for the apt, here is what I do. When I mail them a copy of their return, I also mail the 8879's forms to be signed.
                    So you can have them sign when they come for the appt, before the return is prepared?

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
                      So you can have them sign when they come for the appt, before the return is prepared?
                      It's my understanding you cannot have them sign the 8879 before you present the final return for signature. Whether that's enforced,...

Comment

Only if client reviewed return

If one spouse is there while you prepare, and signs, then you wait for other to get form back to you or stop in to sign or.... Never transmit the returns without signatures. But, sometimes I've been paid by the one who's here and just need to wait for other signature and not wait for payment.

Comment

Only if you have your clients sign a blank 1040 before you prepare it.

Remember, this form is the taxpayers signature on the filed tax return. There is an allowance for some minor editing like a $5.00 tax change and a $25.00 taxable income change.

Comment

So you can have them sign when they come for the apt, before the return is prepared?
                            NO. I prepare the return while they are sitting at my desk, they watch on a monitor. The return is finished before they leave, so I have them sign the 8879's. If I find an error, and something changes, then I mail them a new 8879. Hope that clarifies my statement.

Comment

Originally posted by Piglee View Post
                              NO. I prepare the return while they are sitting at my desk, they watch on a monitor. The return is finished before they leave, so I have them sign the 8879's. If I find an error, and something changes, then I mail them a new 8879. Hope that clarifies my statement.
                              Thanks. Got it.

Comment

I have them sign when they pick up the return. I actually go over the return with them!!! that way I know they understand what's on it. Its part of the service I provide, that the tax-in-a-box programs don't. And offer planning & other ideas at the same time. And they pay then. What a concept!

Mailed returns for the out of state folks get the 'sign here' stickers on the 8879s with an addressed envelope. Most fax or email the 8879s back, and use the envelope for the check.

Comment

Working...
                                X