No announcement yet.

Totally Off Topic - Dog hip problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying Molly today without the pain meds and she seems to be doing well. Wonderful attitude - playful and happy. Good appetite and potty time is uneventful. She is still limping, to be expected. She bears weight on the surgery leg when she walks, but not when she stands. The vet said not to try to do anything except her from running and jumping for these next six weeks, and then we can probably start taking her on short walks. She will like that a lot

We have a swimming pool and he said swimming would be great for her. She's never shown any interest in swimming before. I wonder how that will go if we try it out?

She is fat. She wasn't supposed to get her meds on an empty stomach and perhaps I was a bit too enthusiastic about giving her treats. I know we aren't doing her any favors by letting her carry too much weight on her joints.

We are going to try some vegetables as treats instead of the delicious doggie biscuits. I'm not sure she'll be impressed with carrots and green beans and pray they don't give her gas. That smell has woken me up from a sound sleep before...ewww...

Comment

vegies

Well carrots and beans I don't think will give her gas, she might even like the frozen petite peas, just stay away from brocolli, cabbage, sweet potatoes/yams, etc. Fresh or frozen is always better, than canned

glad to hear that she is doing so well

Sandy

Comment

Remember...

that you are doing Molly a favor in the long run by keeping her quiet. So use that kennel!
        She'll understand, as long as you two are around to comfort her. And a trick for getting pills down her - wrap them in cream cheese (low or non-fat) or peanut butter. A little goes a long way, so fewer calories. The last thing she needs (like all of us) is to be overweight. My dog had cancer from age 5 to age 14.5 - I had to give her many, many pills over the years. She eventually figured out how to extract the pill from the cream cheese and spit it out - but it took years. Let me know if you ever want to compare vet bills <w>.

Molly is a lucky dog to have you!

Comment

Molly's bloodwork showed high amylase and the vet sort of blew it off because her other levels were normal. I've found that Irritable Bowel Disease will cause high amylase so off to the high end pet food store. She has had loose stool, but not always runny (sorry). She didn't have that problem while taking the anti-inflammatory medications. Now that we've stopped the meds, it's back. So I'm assuming her innards are inflamed for some reason.

What fun! They have wonderful things called "Sam's Yams" that are long, thick, tough strips of dried yam. Miss Molly thinks they are swell!

Also got California Natural Lamb and Rice low fat and she likes that, too. We transition into that to avoid the "new food" tummy trouble.

Picked up a can of Tripe (Merrick pet foods) because the slick salesperson said it had good enzymes from grass fed cattle. How incredibly, horrifyingly stinky. Naturally she liked it very much. Hubby will gag if he smells it so I'm going to be getting up at 5:30AM for breakfast.

I

Comment

Originally posted by abctax View Post
            that you are doing Molly a favor in the long run by keeping her quiet. So use that kennel!
            She'll understand, as long as you two are around to comfort her. And a trick for getting pills down her - wrap them in cream cheese (low or non-fat) or peanut butter. A little goes a long way, so fewer calories. The last thing she needs (like all of us) is to be overweight. My dog had cancer from age 5 to age 14.5 - I had to give her many, many pills over the years. She eventually figured out how to extract the pill from the cream cheese and spit it out - but it took years. Let me know if you ever want to compare vet bills <w>.

Molly is a lucky dog to have you!
            I'm so sorry to hear that your dog had cancer. Our Jessie passed away at age 17 last August with pancreatic cancer that spread to her lungs. It happened pretty fast.

Molly takes her pills without any problem as long as they are tucked inside a nice piece of steak or roast pork We've been able to back off the medications and she's taking 1/2 Rimadyl per day and those are chewables.

We've been trying hard to keep her entertained, and so far so good. She likes to sit out in the back yard and the weather has been nice here. She is very playful and has been enjoying her toys and chewy things. Can't wait for her to be able to go on walks again and it will be a real adventure to see if she will swim. Last evening some ducks migrated to our pool from a nearby park. They hung around for awhile, hopped up on the deck and pooped, and then took off. Freeloaders. Humph!

Comment

"I'm so sorry to hear that your dog had cancer. Our Jessie passed away at age 17 last August with pancreatic cancer that spread to her lungs. It happened pretty fast."

Thank you - I'm thankful that my dog's cancer was treatable with multiple surgeries and only one round of chemo - she did quickly become terrified whenever we turned down the road to the vet. Sounds like your situation was quick, with little that could be done - that had to have been very hard on you. It's amazing the lengths we go to for our pets & I don't apologize for it! They truly are family.

Give Molly a scratch behind the ears, or a belly rub for me.

Comment

Pets

I don't think many of us want to think about the " kids" we lost- a lot of us have been through it - I had a "RagDoll Cat" that adopted us and then after a few years found out she had cancer - it was devastating

She Adopted Us ---- and after 5 years with us - she was diagnosed with cancer = so she knew better than any one else did what we could provie, We provided care, comfort and love for her to the bitter end, and I cried for days after She truly had become one of my best friends.

We love them as much as we can and give them comfort -
                We all know here that you are providing Molly with the best Care and Comfort that you can- and we are all "saying prayers and well wishes" for Molly's revcovery.

Sandy

Comment

All good news!

Molly 6 week checkup was today and she is good! The Dr. said we can start walking her for about 1/2 mile twice and day and see how she feels. Also can start swimming.

All good news!

Thanks for listening

Comment

Thank you for the good news, brightens the day. I bet Molly is thrilled to be able to get more exercise.

Comment

Too bad it's too hot out here for much of that - only before sunrise and after 9PM (and it's still hot!) I think it's going to be less than 1/2 mile because of the heat. That's OK. Plenty of time for her to heal up. She'll like just getting out of the yard, even if to go next door and sit under our nice neighbor lady's big tree

Comment

Working...
                      X