Really easy ESPP question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really easy ESPP question

I have to re-learn this every single time it comes up. I remember that the answer is easy but looks hard.

Nonqualified ESPP held for over a year:

W2 reports $800 in box 12 code V.

1099B reports proceeds of $1,200.

Statement reports option cost of $405.

I think cost basis is: $800 + $405 = $1,205.

Report on Sch D with a resulting $5 loss and that's all there is to it, right?

Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by BHoffman; 03-29-2010, 11:42 PM.

Originally posted by BHoffman View Post
    I have to re-learn this every single time it comes up.
    I know what you mean. Yes, that's how I would handle it.

Comment

I have to re-learn this every single time it comes up. I remember that the answer is easy but looks hard.

Nonqualified ESPP held for over a year:

W2 reports $800 in box 12 code V.

1099B reports proceeds of $1,200.

Statement reports option cost of $405.

I think cost basis is: $800 + $405 = $1,205.

Report on Sch D with a resulting $5 loss and that's all there is to it, right?

Thanks for any advice.
      I think you also need to note if there is ordinary income here also. Many ESPP plans offer a 15% discount on the offer to buy. I've had ordinary income on all the ESPP transactions with my clients.

Comment

Originally posted by New York Enrolled Agent View Post
        I think you also need to note if there is ordinary income here also. Many ESPP plans offer a 15% discount on the offer to buy. I've had ordinary income on all the ESPP transactions with my clients.
        But said ordinary income is always included already in box one of the W2 form.
        So no problem.
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
          But said ordinary income is always included already in box one of the W2 form.
          So no problem.
          Not always the case.

BHoffman - go to Kaye Thomas's site www.fairmark.com. He has a series of articles on ESPPs. He writes in an understandable language.

Comment

Originally posted by New York Enrolled Agent View Post
            Not always the case.

BHoffman - go to Kaye Thomas's site www.fairmark.com. He has a series of articles on ESPPs. He writes in an understandable language.
            "Understandable language" is something I could use right now

I notice Kaye Thomas wrote a book called "Consider Your Options" and am ordering it today.

Thanks for advice.

Comment

Code 'V' in box 12 indicates a NQSO, not an ESPP. There is a difference to the calculation, although what the OP came up with is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by joanmcq View Post
                Code 'V' in box 12 indicates a NQSO, not an ESPP. There is a difference to the calculation, although what the OP came up with is correct.
                Joan, thank you for confirming that. Obviously, I need to learn more about these things so am waiting for that book. Unfortunately during tax season is not the time to study, and I'm grateful for everyone's help.

Comment

Obviously, I need to learn more about these things so am waiting for that book.
                  I should check out that book, too. I have a few stock option, or what have you, transactions each year, and it always feels like reinventing the wheel.

Comment

Yes it does, and more of my clients are being compensated like this. Hope that little book is going to be good. I'll let you know.

That Fairmark site is great! ST referred me over there too. I had some dividends paid out of a restricted stock thing and was able to find exactly what I was looking for.

Comment

Well then, I will bookmark it. Thanks!

Comment

Also, you said income in W2 in Box 12, so I am assuming it was in 2009. Also you mention 1099B so I am assuming that is also in 2009. If he exercised and sold in the same year, it is short term. Not that it matters due to a loss, but it would matter if a gain.

Comment

Hi Burke - thanks for the heads up - it was short term, and I did pay attention to the dates

Comment

Only reason I mentioned it was because you noted it was held over one year. The grant date doesn't really matter.

Comment

I was wrong about that date

But, thanks to everyone here and that Fairmark site it is corrected

Comment

Working...
                              X