Occupation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lion View Post
    Do we put the client's CURRENT occupation, or their occupation during the tax year we are preparing? As, you say, one could be executive and the other unemployed or retired. I'd heard through the grapevine that the IRS used the occupation to judge deductions as reasonable or not, so I've used the occupation during the bulk of the tax year of the return.
    My comments about using taxpayer's current occupation dates back to when I first learned how to prepare tax forms. I would have thought it would have been in some IRS literature of that day and age (1972), but would have to dig it out at the office.

Rationale was that if IRS wanted to contact taxpayer at work they would have that
    information when phoning the employer. But they have better ways of finding someone these days.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

I'm surprised!

I'm so surprised that some don't list an occupation at all! I thought you had to put something on there.. even 'domestic goddess" or "housewife" or "homemaker" or even "unemployed" but I didn't think you could leave it blank.

(I like "spork" too...)
      "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Originally posted by Possi View Post
        I'm so surprised that some don't list an occupation at all! I thought you had to put something on there.. even 'domestic goddess" or "housewife" or "homemaker" or even "unemployed" but I didn't think you could leave it blank.

(I like "spork" too...)
        An occupation is an endeavor from which one derives compensation, thus none
        of your examples qualify. Even 'student' or 'retired" don't qualify.

And please spare me a discourse on just how much a wife and homemaker are
        worth. (grin
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
          An occupation is an endeavor from which one derives compensation, thus none
          of your examples qualify. Even 'student' or 'retired" don't qualify.

And please spare me a discourse on just how much a wife and homemaker are
          worth. (grin
          So unless my client is deriving compensation, his endeavor is unmentionable? Inconsequential? Useless? Worthless? Nothing on the line?
          "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

ty Harlan

I have always put what was their principal occupation for the tax year in question and never mind if it was different for the year during which I prepared the return.

Comment

So unless my client is deriving compensation, his endeavor is unmentionable? Inconsequential? Useless? Worthless? Nothing on the line?
              Righto!

(more added here because error message said that my original message of one word was too short.)
              ChEAr$,
              Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Good one!

Originally posted by BP. View Post
                Trust-funster?
                That's a good one!

Comment

Unmentionable, Useless, and Worthless would all be listed as Attorney.

Comment

Lol

Originally posted by Davc View Post
                    Unmentionable, Useless, and Worthless would all be listed as Attorney.
                    Good one, Davc. LOL.
                    If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

so,

leave it blank for attorney? hahaha

Comment

leave it blank for atty...snake oil salesman is more appropriate.
                        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                        X