Occupation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Occupation

What would you put as the "occupation" for a spoiled little rich girl living on her daddy's trust fund while partying away in South Africa?

Aside from "unemployed" I am sure collectively we can come up with something....

"spork" (spoiled rich kid) ??
    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Possi, what makes you so mad at her? How does it show that she is spoiled?

Maybe "Party Queen" would be appropriate?

Comment

Heir........ Is that how it is spelled...???
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Not mad...

Originally posted by Gretel View Post
        Possi, what makes you so mad at her? How does it show that she is spoiled?

Maybe "Party Queen" would be appropriate?
        I know her... was just poking fun, really.
        "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

yes!

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
          Heir........ Is that how it is spelled...???
          That's a good one! Heir with a wild Hair!

Comment

All kidding aside, I don't even list an occupation any longer for a new client. Of course
            software tends to bring over previous occupation if listed, so I just let that ride if still
            accurate.
            ChEAr$,
            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Daddy's Girl, Brittney wannabe, Spending Daddy's Money, Trust Fund Baby...need I go on?
              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

South Africa, while beautiful, is a dnagerous country. Too much flaunting of her wealth and they might call her "missing". Can't be too careful abroad.
                In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
                Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Originally posted by Possi View Post

"spork" (spoiled rich kid) ??
                  I love that one!

Comment

On a serious note

is it really no longer necessary to give an occupation? When I started in the business (92) I was told they wanted a straight answer and used it in determining whether income reported was reasonable for that occupation or perhaps an examination was in order. Then at some point I heard that what you put really wasn't important but the company wanted us to put something. However, I never got a cite even for that opinion. It was the opinion of a big company that was contractually obligated to pay any penalties that might come my way unless it could show that I had willfully ignored my training so I just did what they said.

Comment

Originally posted by erchess View Post
                      is it really no longer necessary to give an occupation? When I started in the business (92) I was told they wanted a straight answer and used it in determining whether income reported was reasonable for that occupation or perhaps an examination was in order. Then at some point I heard that what you put really wasn't important but the company wanted us to put something. However, I never got a cite even for that opinion. It was the opinion of a big company that was contractually obligated to pay any penalties that might come my way unless it could show that I had willfully ignored my training so I just did what they said.
                      Since the occupation listed is supposed to be one's present occupation, it doesn't follow that IRS would want it just to correlate it with income. One could have been
                      a highly placed executive for the tax year in question with huge deductions, but
                      now, being laid off, works as a grocery bagger. (Yes, true case, down near Tampa)
                      ChEAr$,
                      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Current or tax year?

Do we put the client's CURRENT occupation, or their occupation during the tax year we are preparing? As, you say, one could be executive and the other unemployed or retired. I'd heard through the grapevine that the IRS used the occupation to judge deductions as reasonable or not, so I've used the occupation during the bulk of the tax year of the return.

Comment

Occupation

I don't know what occupation half of my clients are in. I either leave it blank or put in something like XYZ, Inc employee.

Comment

Originally posted by Possi View Post

What would you put as the "occupation" for a spoiled little rich girl living on her daddy's trust fund while partying away in South Africa?
                            Trust-funster?

Comment

I usually leave it blank.
                              Have never heard a word about it and have never been able to find any IRS policy on the subject.
                              "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
                              X