S-corp and basis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S-corp and basis

Okay, another S-corp and basis question. I'm hoping someone can help me out. First year S-corp. Net income is around 40k. Distributions and Sec. 179 total about 80k, so retained earning are zero. There's about 100k of cash on the balance sheet at year-end, so I'm wondering where to allocate the remainder in the equity section. Loan from shareholder, APIC or a combination of the two? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Originally posted by JCH View Post
    Okay, another S-corp and basis question. I'm hoping someone can help me out. First year S-corp. Net income is around 40k. Distributions and Sec. 179 total about 80k, so retained earning are zero. There's about 100k of cash on the balance sheet at year-end, so I'm wondering where to allocate the remainder in the equity section. Loan from shareholder, APIC or a combination of the two? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.
    I need info broken down separately.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

What is the balance in your common stock & add'l paid-in capital accounts? Do you have any loans from the shareholder already on the books?

Maribeth

Comment

First year S-corp. Shareholder opened bank account with 175,000. $100 to capital stock.
        Year end bank balance 130,000

Ordinary income 40,000
        Sec 179 expense 35,000
        Distributions 45,000

AAA ending balance zero

Retained earnings (40,000)
        Loans from Shareholder ?
        Capital stock $100
        APIC ?

Trying to figure out where to allocate the balance in the equity section of Sch L. I appreciate your help.

Comment

Client opened the bank account with $175,000, with $100 going into common stock. What was the rest of the opening entry?

Maribeth

Comment

Originally posted by Maribeth View Post
            Client opened the bank account with $175,000, with $100 going into common stock. What was the rest of the opening entry?

Maribeth
            Client uses Quickbooks and does everything herself. I think QB just plugs it to retained earnings automatically. There's no separate entry by the client.

Comment

Client uses Quickbooks and does everything herself. I think QB just plugs it to retained earnings automatically. There's no separate entry by the client.
              You should assume it would go into "loan from officer" (liability section).. (Which has some additional issues)
              This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

First year S-corp. Shareholder opened bank account with 175,000. $100 to capital stock.

Ordinary income 40,000
                Sec 179 expense 35,000
                Distributions 45,000

AAA ending balance zero

Retained earnings (40,000)
                Loans from Shareholder ?
                Capital stock $100
                APIC ?

Trying to figure out where to allocate the balance in the equity section of Sch L. I appreciate your help.
                What about Officer Payroll?????

Comment

Thank for both responses, Bob. Officer payroll is already accounted for in ordinary income. W-2 issued, so no problem there. I have to impute interest from the loans from shareholder, right? Any other issues with that category of equity?

Comment

Ordinary income 40,000 $5,000 NET PROFIT- AFTER 179 DEDUCTION???
                    Sec 179 expense 35,000 NOT SURE IF THIS IS PART OF THE $40,000
                    Distributions 45,000 MOST WILL GO TO REDUCING LOAN FROM OFFICER

AAA ending balance zero

Retained earnings (40,000) ZERO
                    Loans from Shareholder ????
                    Capital stock $100 OK
                    APIC ? WHAT IS APIC?

SEE ABOVE NOTES

Comment

I think you answered the question. The remainder goes to Loans from Shareholder. APIC is Additional Paid in Capital (Line 23, Sch. L).

Comment

I think you answered the question. The remainder goes to Loans from Shareholder. APIC is Additional Paid in Capital (Line 23, Sch. L).
                        IRS would reclassify Officer Loans to APIC if you don't have a loan agreement between both. The agreement should have a stated interest rate and that interest should be paid annually or at least issue a 1099INT to the shareholder.

Comment

So what's the risk of calling it Additional Paid in Capital as opposed to Loan from Shareholder? Is APIC locked up, whereas Loans from Shareholder are more fluid?

Comment

I have a client that is in the same position. Has loaned a great deal to the S-corp.

Imputed Interest is calculated each year. S-Corp deducts interest while shareholder reports as income.

Comment

So what's the risk of calling it Additional Paid in Capital as opposed to Loan from Shareholder? Is APIC locked up, whereas Loans from Shareholder are more fluid?
                              A big time difference..APIC requires a sale of stock.

Comment

Working...
                              X