Tax Softeare Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Softeare Problems

How many problems should I expect with my tax software and when should I think about a new company or a new computer and indeed how do I decide which to think in terms of? Here's a synopsis of my history.

When I worked for a big box company from 92 to 02 there were problems every single year. We would get notice time after time that under particular circumstances the program would go wrong and here was the workaround. At most three days later a fix would be announced but many of the fixes caused their own problems. My last two years the problem was not so much glitches in installed software as it was that updates simply would not load. By this time I was an Office Manager and staff would repeatedly beg me to put off updates until after their shifts so the next people would deal with the headaches.

Then in 03 I worked for another company and I don't remember software as a problem.

I went out on my own for 05 and all following years and I do not recall any glitches until this year. Yes one reseller of Intellitax did not make the State Business Software available until the morning of 3/15 but that was the reseller's business decision and not a glitch. The software was available in January.

Then this year I have had headaches. Last week I had to un-install and reinstall all the state modules and tonight I had to un-install and reinstall one state.

Should I think of this year as more or less normal? Should I think of this year as a fluke? Should I think of replacing my computer? Should I think or replacing my software? What say you?

Given the low cost of computers I usually buy a new "business" computer every other year. Sometimes there's reason to keep an older computer longer, or buy a newer computer sooner. This year for example I put it off because I didn't want to be a Windows 7 user for the first year of Windows 7 with tax software. Past experience has taught me if I do that I'll be beta testing the software and I really just want tax software to "just work".

The reason for buying new computers is two fold, one it prevents them from ever getting too cluttered. Truthfully a simple hard drive wipe & reinstall of windows would work just as well. Two, it keeps the computer up to spec to run the software. Not all tax software cares about how good your computer is. Some software cares a lot.

At any rate in the day of $300 decent computers I don't have a problem justifying the upgrade.

As far as putting up with software, I like the software to "just work" I shouldn't ever have to reinstall software unless my computer crashes or loses data. Keeping the computer relatively new helps prevent that. So if I was having to do uninstall/reinstalls and other weird tasks to make the software work as the result of the software releasing patches that break things I'd be pissed. Not one to change software mid season, I'd be looking at the competition extra hard for the next year.

Comment

I suggest that you consider going over to Drake Tax Software IF that is not what
      you are now using. I like it very much.

Comment

Leave them

Originally posted by erchess View Post
        How many problems should I expect with my tax software and when should I think about a new company or a new computer and indeed how do I decide which to think in terms of? Here's a synopsis of my history.

When I worked for a big box company from 92 to 02 there were problems every single year. We would get notice time after time that under particular circumstances the program would go wrong and here was the workaround. At most three days later a fix would be announced but many of the fixes caused their own problems. My last two years the problem was not so much glitches in installed software as it was that updates simply would not load. By this time I was an Office Manager and staff would repeatedly beg me to put off updates until after their shifts so the next people would deal with the headaches.

Then in 03 I worked for another company and I don't remember software as a problem.

I went out on my own for 05 and all following years and I do not recall any glitches until this year. Yes one reseller of Intellitax did not make the State Business Software available until the morning of 3/15 but that was the reseller's business decision and not a glitch. The software was available in January.

Then this year I have had headaches. Last week I had to un-install and reinstall all the state modules and tonight I had to un-install and reinstall one state.

Should I think of this year as more or less normal? Should I think of this year as a fluke? Should I think of replacing my computer? Should I think or replacing my software? What say you?
        Perhaps I am too extreme. I have used (if I am counting correctly) twelve tax software programs. Most I have left because of support issues. I would certainly leave your current program over the problems you are having. I can assure you that it is entirely possible to use a computer, or a group of computers, and tax software, and various other software programs through an entire tax season with no serious problems whatever. The trick is to find programs that just work without problems or a program with such great support that problems are solved before they become problems. In your situation, and with your history, I think you should seriously consider Drake.
        Christopher Mewhort, EA
        mewhorttax.com

Comment

Drake

Originally posted by dyne View Post
          I suggest that you consider going over to Drake Tax Software IF that is not what
          you are now using. I like it very much.
          I've had no problems using Drake. Aside from the way you have to enter mileage deductions for multiple rental properties, it is easy to use, and gets easier every year.
          One update didn't install correctly, but all I had to do is reboot the computer, then it installed.

Technical support and the Drake Forum can usually tanswer any question you have.

Comment

I like proseries

It is very functional and I have had very few problems. I needed to contact tech support (used the chat feature) twice this year and they quickly resolved my problems.

Dusty

Comment

David1980: Thank you for the suggestion to buy a new computer every two years.
              It makes a lot of sense. My main computer is six years old and I spent $300 on it last
              fall having it repaired and it still has a minor problem. I am hoping to be able to hold
              out until computers with solid state drives are available and not too expensive.
              Samsung announced such a SSD computer but it only has a 64 gb SSD drive.
              I am holding out for one with 128 gb. HP has one with 64 gb SSD and a regular hard
              drive but I want to eliminate the hard drives. I have had TWO hard drives fail in the
              past two years. A Shuttle X27 Mini computer has 64 gb SSD and cost $670.52 but
              does not use Windows 7 as an OS so is not suitable for me. Best wishes. Thanks,
              Last edited by dyne; 03-04-2010, 11:25 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Erchess

I know you were a TRX customer but went with another software his year. I dont remember which one. I would be interested in knowing which. I know you decided against resellers; I wishI have listened to you.

Comment

Thank You For All Responses

I am using Drake and this is my second year with them. I have found that I can deal with spreadsheet based software just fine and that was a concern. The price is a strain for me and I certainly can't consider anything more expensive. I believe that rules out Pro Series. If I remember right there was also an issue of Pro Series not having certain forms I wanted. Drake tech support has been great and after last year I bought and installed all the versions going back to 92 and I use them for Prior Year Returns. I could have downloaded the versions for free but I wanted the CDs and the price was right for them. I am on a five year old laptop so that may be part of my problem.

Chief I'm not against resellers. When Intellitax went under I had already decided I wanted a better software package and had TRX at that time offered another choice I would have looked at it because I liked their tech support. It wasn't as good as what I found with Drake but it was as good as any I had previously encountered.

I need a laptop because I work in the homes and offices of clients and because space at home is limited. I am made suspicious of solid state drives by a friend who is an IT Professional. I have been using laptops longer than I have had my own tax business. My habit has been to get the fastest processor best display best video card and biggest hard drive then available and then keep my three to five thousand dollar machine for five or more years. I may rethink that.

I totally agree with not wanting to use an operating system in its first year of existence or a business software package in its first year of using my operating system.

Comment

You know things on any hard drive will eventually get corrupted. Print drivers, video card drivers, files, program installs. Include that with each years tax program, Quickbooks for 3 or 4 years. So it may be time for a newer computer. Especially if it is a five year old laptop. I've got a dell inspiron that was top model at the time. I think it is about 5 years old and I really only use it now to surf the net while sitting on the couch. Compared to my desktop computer its pretty slow.

Comment

Working...
                    X