Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this a great country/tax system or what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a great country/tax system or what?

You know, I've been complainin' about ever'thang so much lately that I'm gettin' plumb ashamed of myself.

Today it occurred to me: What's there to gripe about? I'm using this wonderful computer and software to dash through taxes like that guy on the flying trapeze (with the greatest of ease). And, as only an old hand who used to do 'em slowly and laboriously by pen and adding machine, can truly and fully appreciate.

Besides, the Prez and Congress keep helpin' us out. Now I've got those L&M cigarettes (strike that--I mean "schedules") to pad the return and allow me to say "Look here how thick this return is -- all that work fillin' out this junk and you're complainin' about fees? Come now!"

Anyway I herewith pledge to forego all moaning and groaning about everything for at least two or three weeks. I'm sure you'll be grateful -- I know I will be.

I am so ashamed

Yes, I do alot of griping, too.

Another silver lining, with EIC, I have 100 clients who would otherwise be nonfilers.

It's all good, people!
    If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Anger turned to energy

Sometimes when I get so frustrated at the tax system, clients, complexity of the tax laws, completely irrational Congressmen etc., I go outside and grab my snow shovel and start moving snow. I'm sure I have moved tons of snow! My driveway, sidewalks, porch, roof, shed, street, lawn area and any stray rabbits are free of snow. I have noticed that the neighbors tend to steer clear of me however.

Comment

LOL, Shovel Mania

A few weeks ago, I decided I every time I want to say, "Wow, I have a lot to do!"; I am going to say, "Wow, I have a lot."

It has made a big difference in my attitude. Death and life ARE in the power of the tongue.

But, yeah, I have thought about bonking people over the head lately myself...

Comment

Well, my take is that it is a national disgrace

Well, my take is that it is a national disgrace that our tax system is so complex that reasonably intelligent people with reasonably simple situations feel the need to pay someone to prepare tax returns for them. (I know this won't make me popular with many of you!)

BTW How do you change your user name?
          Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

User Name

Originally posted by appelman View Post
            Well, I was on the phone with a nice TaxBook representative about another matter, and he changed it for me. Otherwise, you would have to re-register.

Comment

Why we have to prepare for them...

It's a simple matter - Most people are terrified of the IRS. That's why we do them.
              I honestly believe the following.

1) Most people should NOT have to prepare their own returns.
              2) The IRS should automate the process based on paperwork provided them.
              3) Send the taxpayer their "refund" or notice of debt with a copy of how it was prepared.
              4) If the taxpayer disagreed they could file an amended version to get the difference.
              5) Items that cause change are birth, death, etc.

For the most part it would work. Provide a standardized amount for charitable if need be.
              They have the MTG interest and in many cases the property taxes.

What doesn't the IRS have (other than a clue I know)...???
              And you thought YOU wouldn't be liked??
              Matthew Jones
              Tax Preparation
              Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
              Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Comment

The biggest pressure NOT to change the system comes, I think, from the software compa

The biggest pressure NOT to change the system comes, I think, from the software companies. I think the IRS is terrified of Intuit's political clout. At the drop of a hat they will start a scare campaign about the horrors that will result if the same people who collect your taxes also are involved in preparation of your return. California has succeeded, to an extent, in bucking this pressure, but the IRS has always caved in. The so-called "Free File Alliance" is an abomination. I am pretty sure it also ends up being a cash cow for the software companies.

A columnist recently compared the present system to an arrangement in which your monthly credit card bill was blank. You collected all of your receipts and filled in the balance due. If you missed anything, you would be penalized.
                Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

The Congress likes to use the tax code for social engineering purposes. They use it to reward their friends. They use it to punish the unfriendly. They use it for lots and lots of reasons. And that is why it is so convoluted.

Lots and lots of reasons to vote for the fiscally conservative candidate in November

Copyright music and lyrics reproduced by kind permission of Exile. Madison Avenue Band recorded live at a charity event, March '09. More band info at http:/...
                  Last edited by BHoffman; 02-06-2010, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MAJ View Post
                    It's a simple matter - Most people are terrified of the IRS. That's why we do them.
                    I honestly believe the following.

1) Most people should NOT have to prepare their own returns.
                    2) The IRS should automate the process based on paperwork provided them.
                    Didn't Obama promise something like that?

Anyway, the real people blocking such a thing from happening is the politicians themselves. Absolutely the tax code could be simplified and automated. Look at the tax system of Japan for example. Graduated income tax where the correct amount is withheld and no income tax has to be filed by normal employees (self-employed would still have to file.)

But in order to get to a system like that you have to stop passing all sorts of specialized tax cuts and legislating behavior. With all of our credits, our deductions, benefits for having children, etc... it would be impossible for the employer to withhold the correct amount of tax consistently. It would be impossible for the government to preparer the return correctly, not knowing what you are entitled to as far as credits and deductions.

It's also much harder to pass a "real" income tax cut, because it would well, reduce the income tax revenues. Whereas specialized "Get $1,000 for each albino special needs kid adopted from Jan 15 through Jan 16 of leap years" variety cuts sound good but have almost no impact on revenues. You can as a politican vote for these tax cuts and then come reelection claim you voted for tax cuts, even though they're not significant tax cuts.

On the other hand, if the tax code were simplified, I'd have to find a new line of work.

Comment

Dear appeler: In Re - Abolishing the tax system

Well, my take is that it is a national disgrace that our tax system is so complex that reasonably intelligent people with reasonably simple situations feel the need to pay someone to prepare tax returns for them. (I know this won't make me popular with many of you!)
                      Why, I don't see how you could even think such a thing, i.e., that we'd take offense with or exception to your statement, much less regard it unkindly or in the wrong way. Perish the thought!

I for one; ever high-minded and full-cognizant of the lofty goals/ideals espoused by my competitors at Mo' Money, do now and herewith renounce any worldly concern with filthy lucre. And certainly I hope that you shall do the same.

Actually I'm not quite sure of the procedure, however may I perhaps suggest you consider the new user name of Persona Non Grata?

Comment

P. S.

I was just kiddin' you appler, but if it's all the same to you I'll wish for a different Utopia since I'm of the opinion that yours would be a bit inconvenient.

Comment

Bitter or Better!!

Last week at church we had a guest preacher and he said we chose either to be Better or Bitter!! With the current tax system I chose Better because as the Pres. and Congress changes the TAX code it means more business for me. The only good thing on changing the Pres. every 4 years is that we can always count on TAX change laws either for the better or worse however you want to look at it. It means more money for me so I can spend more time with my kids after April 15th!!!!

I LOVE Tax changes!!!!

Superman

Comment

I believe the usual protocol is to petition Brad's cat.

Comment

Working...
                            X