This one beats all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This one beats all

I just finished preparing a tax return for a client and wife. He works,she stays home and 3 kids. He got to add one more kid this year because she now lives with him instead of the mother. Schedule A deductions.
    I asked all the questions as we went through return. Earn any income from side jobs or other work? "NO"

I finish the return, all signed and ready for efiling. I;ve been paid. Then husband pulls out a business card for his wife and gives it to me. She is selling JAFRA cosmetics!!!!!!!

I said that is a business. You have to report your income. You can claim expenses.
    He says "Oh, she is just starting to do this" Yea, right!!

So I give them sheet showing what she can deduct. You better believe they will have to claim it next year.

Linda

Did you tell them about the special deduction for cosmetics sales people who work from home and store good for resale? They can deduct food and vet bills for a "security cat" if its primary role is to guard the inventory. I got this info straight from a client years ago after they attended a seminar sponsored by the company...
    Last edited by JohnH; 02-03-2010, 08:11 PM.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Oh!

She probably won't be selling "Jafra" cosmetics in year 2010 if she is like some of past clients Start the "business" and "end" the business within 6-9 months.

Particularly after they find out they can't really take all of those deductions, such as the Office in Home, Security Cat/Dog, vehicle expense for listening to tapes in the car, etc.....

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by S T View Post
        ...Particularly after they find out they can't really take all of those deductions, such as the Office in Home, Security Cat/Dog, vehicle expense for listening to tapes in the car, etc.....
        You have got to be kidding. No security cat/dog??

Comment

Don't forget

Aerial surveillance.......parakeet

Comment

Twice in the last 24 hours I have encountered a cat with a machine gun. It could just be coincidence, but too many people have told me there...

Comment

Now that's security!!

Comment

I Luv It!!

Thanks you made my night!.

I'll just might try the security cat for my office, too.

Linda

Comment

Kin Folk

Well, if I can't take my cat as a business expense, I will go get him a social security card and claim him as a dependent. After all, he meets all the tests as far as support, living in the US. May even qualify for the Earned Income Credit.

Or put him on the business and amortize over 9 lives.

Comment

Another security question

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                    Did you tell them about the special deduction for cosmetics sales people who work from home and store good for resale? They can deduct food and vet bills for a "security cat" if its primary role is to guard the inventory. I got this info straight from a client years ago after they attended a seminar sponsored by the company...
                    Then can I take a security deduction for a pair of attack-trained gerbils??

FE

Comment

Well, sure

And don't forget to deduct the value of your own labor. And, you are worth a lot, I might add!
                      If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Working...
                      X