Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deducting Uniform Cost & associated cleaning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deducting Uniform Cost & associated cleaning?

If I read correctly, the uniform or apparel has to be mandated by the employer and the uniform cannot be worn in public in order for it to be deductible, correct?

A Dr. Pepper distributor (my favorite) must wear a shirt that displays the DP symbol. Nothing is stopping this distributor from walking into Burger King (my other favorite) to eat. So deduction dissallowed, correct?

How about the mechanic who also needs to wear an employer approved shirt which gets really dirty and feels inappropiate to go into Burger King wearing this dirty shirt. Is there a deduction allowed here?

I am curious how flexible members of this board are with this.

If it is a uniform of any kind, I deduct it. My last info was that "it is not suitable for general use".
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

TTB Pg 4-25 top left.

So if I understand "everyday wear" is when you could wear this employer mandated apparel 7 days a week. If the Dr. Pepper employee/distributor does not work on Sunday, the employee most likley would not wear the Dr Pepper shirt therefore does his employer mandated uniform/apparel qualify for "not being everyday wear"?

Comment

company logo

If it has a company logo on it, it is a uniform. You would not wear a shirt with a company logo on it to places you go when you are not working.

Going into Burger King during his work day is still part of his work day and he wears his uniform when working.

I would deduct it.

Linda

Comment

Same here. Unless logo is so small that you need to have magnifying glass to read.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
            So if I understand "everyday wear" is when you could wear this employer mandated apparel 7 days a week. If the Dr. Pepper employee/distributor does not work on Sunday, the employee most likley would not wear the Dr Pepper shirt therefore does his employer mandated uniform/apparel qualify for "not being everyday wear"?
            You are reading WAAAAY too much into this issue.
            This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

if the guy is wearing dr. pepper uniform it doesn't matter where he goes, it is deductible because it is recognizable ,(except painters) because of the DP patch or name plate. i would deduct it.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post

A Dr. Pepper distributor must wear a shirt that displays the DP symbol. Nothing is stopping this distributor from walking into Burger King to eat. So deduction dissallowed, correct?
                Are you pranking the board for April Fools?

Comment

Yea Yea.....April Fools everyone

Didn't I read a post some where by the powers of be of this board that all questions regardless, are welcome for all of us to learn from.

Yes, I know I did : )

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
                    If it is a uniform of any kind, I deduct it. My last info was that "it is not suitable for general use".
                    Military Class A uniforms are specifically not deductible.

Comment

Working...
                    X