Suspense Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspense Work

Just want to throw this out, and see how y'all handle this stuff.

Many of my customers have elections to make, and decisions that mean I can't bring closure to filing their tax return. Examples, MACRS versus s.179 depreciation, whether mother or father claim a child or do a 8332, etc, etc, etc.

I'm sure all of you have these lingering situations to some degree. I have customers who will take FOREVER making up their mind. If I didn't press them for a decision, I would have unfinished work piling up on me until April 10th, and the stack would be so voluminous by then I would have to stay up 24/7 to get it out.

How do YOU handle this? A good friend of mine says he just stacks up the work until April 1, then refuses to take any more appointments after April 1, and spends the rest of the season catching up on suspended work of one kind or another. (Sometimes the client does not create the delay). My approach is to set a suspense date, and then agree upon a default decision. There is ONE telephone reminder, and if the decision is not made by the suspense date, the default is taken, and a paper return is mailed to the client.

Would like to hear from more of you as to how you handle this kind of work.

There are a few I will go ahead & decide on a default position and send them the return. But for most of the unresolved situations I just file an extension. I take the most conservative (costly) position for filing the extension, which means if there may be a balance due I just assume the worst and tell them they need to pay the higher amount with the extension. Sometimes that will shake loose a decision all on its own.

If anyone complains about the extension (although most procrastiantors don't mind), I just tell them they don't want me trying to work through their complexities under deadline pressure.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I don't have a clear policy. I call them after about a week or so. Then maybe call again. I guess I figure that is enough and put the return away. If it is still there I will either call again the end of March or send a letter and put them on extension.
      JG

Comment

I put a sticky note on the folder so anyone else in the office will know what's up if they need to look at the return. After a couple weeks I'll call them if I don't hear by April 14 they go on extension.

I have 499 other returns to tend to. The client has to take first line responsibility for their own.
        In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
        Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Waiting for Info

I email, if available, that way I have a record of contact
          I phone and either talk or leave a message
          If all else fails, I send a letter snail mail

Goes in the Waiting for Info folder with a notation of dates and action

I don't address again until mid March

Sandy

Comment

Very Seldom Have This Problem

Half a day is I think the longest I have ever worked on one return. I have the client there. We bat ideas around and reach a decision then and there. Every so often I hit a situation where I need to do more to increase my knowledge than spend ten minutes looking something up in TTB and then I make an appointment to come back at some mutually convenient time. I have never yet had a client ask that I leave and come back although I have on two occasions been left alone in the home for specified periods of time. In one case the taxpayer went to get his child from school and in another the whole family went to a visitation the night before a funeral. I think eight hours is the longest i would work on one return without taking a break but generally if a client wants to eat while I am there they will offer to share with me and I always take a break for solid food even if I do not for only liquid refreshment.

Comment

Working...
            X