Advice for Form 8919

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for Form 8919

T/P had W-2 w/$129,000. In addition, a 1099 Misc (from the same company) for $18,000 and I'm filing Form 8919 for the 1099. Total wages are $147,000.

Question: In column (f) should I leave this blank or fill in and if I should fill in, what amount do I put in there? I'm really not clear on this because he's already over the limit of $97,500.

Thanks so much for the help (and I need it!)

D
    Last edited by DTS; 09-25-2008, 03:47 PM.

I would put the amount on the 1099. There still is medicare. Curious what code you are using. Also, his/her company will not be happy about this.
    Last edited by solomon; 09-25-2008, 03:55 PM.

Comment

ummmm

It looks to me as though you would put 18,000 the amount on the 1099 unless your client received monies from the employer that should have been on the W2 but were not even on the 1099.

Will the company not be angry with your client if you do this? It's been a while since I have taken this step (back then we used the form used by waiters to tax themselves on unreported tips) but I took it only with people who no longer worked for that employer and no longer expected to need a reference from the company.

Comment

1099 amount

I put that amount in, but started to second-guess myself. I did verify the m/c amount was correct on the return. I misspoke about the SS limit, sorry.

This employer will be p/o, big-time, as was my client. My client could care less how upset he'll be. And, I did discuss this with him prior to preparing the return. He did this to two of my clients, and the second client is almost $30,000.

Thank you both for your help.

D

Comment

I fervently hope

that both of your clients will be successful in landing new jobs quickly at the same or better rate of pay if this becomes necessary or merely desirable. Personally I would not relish working for an employer who does not follow the rules. Even when I worked construction I was blessed to work for firms that followed all the rules and kept reminding me to do so. That made me feel like I was as safe as humanly possible and like I had companies that were not out after dollars at absolutely all costs to the clients and employees.

Comment

You better

review this with your client first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can explain his options, but you better get written permission to file it as wages.

Comment

Jon

I have and I did.

Comment

Not sure what code you are using, but unless the IRS has already made a determination (codes A, B, and C) the taxpayer must file an SS-8. I recommend strongly that you obtain a copy of what he submitted, review it, and keep it in your files.
                Doug

Comment

Working...
                X