Delinquent Accts Receivable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delinquent Accts Receivable

I was reading an old thread re fees and penny pinching clients. It reminded me that next month a client of 40 years is taking me to District Court because she does not want to pay the full fee I billed her and her attorney advisor took the case out of Small Claims Court.

Unfortunately, I have spent more time on this answering letters and calls from her attorney. The client was not able to be helpful in getting her 2005 info together. I did lots for her including traveling to her home (45 minutes away ) to pick up the stuff plus contacting all of the payers to get duplicate 1099's - 2 times. Took me until 8/07 to get the info and file the 2005 returns.

I discounted the bill by 45% because the time was so outrageous and she still wants to pay me less than 50% of the bill. Just how far do you go in cases like this? Don't really think it is the client but her "professional " daughter in San Francisco who is steering this path. Good thing it is Sept and not April.

Do as I say do:

Originally posted by susieq View Post
    I was reading an old thread re fees and penny pinching clients. It reminded me that next month a client of 40 years is taking me to District Court because she does not want to pay the full fee I billed her and her attorney advisor took the case out of Small Claims Court.

Unfortunately, I have spent more time on this answering letters and calls from her attorney. The client was not able to be helpful in getting her 2005 info together. I did lots for her including traveling to her home (45 minutes away ) to pick up the stuff plus contacting all of the payers to get duplicate 1099's - 2 times. Took me until 8/07 to get the info and file the 2005 returns.

I discounted the bill by 45% because the time was so outrageous and she still wants to pay me less than 50% of the bill. Just how far do you go in cases like this? Don't really think it is the client but her "professional " daughter in San Francisco who is steering this path. Good thing it is Sept and not April.
    ..and not as I do (not). In such a case like this get an engagement letter first with a
    retainer.

Hopefully you have good time records and can justify your fee calculations, but if all else
    fails, maybe you'll be able to sell your account to the federal government if this bailout
    bill passes congress for 55% and let the government collect the rest for profit!
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
    X