Rental Property/Multiple Owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rental Property/Multiple Owners

I've received the question from a colleague, and I wonder if I'm missing something. He's claiming that a rental property can have multiple owners, and the owner's can report their share of income and expenses on Schedule E on their individual 1040's.

I've always thought that with multiple owners, a partnership return should be filed, and the members get a K-1, but maybe I'm missing something. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks.

I agree with your colleague - assuming no entity has been formed.

Comment

Originally posted by solomon View Post
      I agree with your colleague - assuming no entity has been formed.
      I also agree, From TTB 7-4

Part I. Use Part I, Schedule E to report the following:
      • Income and expenses from rental real estate. Individuals who
      own a part interest in a rental real estate property report only
      their part of the income and expenses on Schedule E.

Comment

I also agree with your colleague. In fact it would be improper to file a partnership return in the situation described. The instructions for F-1065 make that very clear.
        Roland Slugg
        "I do what I can."

Comment

Could

two or more people form a partnership that would own one or more rental properties?

Comment

If I remember right having a rental property does not constitute a business. This is why it is reported on Sch E and not Sch C. As long as the deed and mortgage lender lists all owners allocating income and expense by % of ownership is correct. taxea
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Form 8825

Originally posted by Roland Slugg View Post
              I also agree with your colleague. In fact it would be improper to file a partnership return in the situation described. The instructions for F-1065 make that very clear.
              Roland, I'm not following. Isn't Form 8825 designed to handle rental property held in a partnership? Can you elaborate? Thanks.

Comment

Partnerships are entities that are formed to conduct a business. A rental is not a business just because there is more than one owner. taxea
                Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                X