35W Bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

35W Bridge

Doesn't have a remote thing to do with taxes, but will draw attention because this is the area from which TTB eminates.

Saw on the news where the Minneapolis 35W bridge which collapsed last Aug 1st was re-opened. Bees told us the TTB staff was unaffected and the location of their office is several miles to the west of the bridge area. The bridge supports sit on the property of the University of Minnesota.

The new bridge is state-of-the-art, with sensors that detect structural defalcations. I happened to be in the construction area earlier this year, and was impressed at the degree of progress by the state contractors. When you consider the pressure on alternate traffic routes, completion should be more of a priority. (This would be a 3-4 yr project in my state)

No earthshaking importance with this post. Just an interesting note, perhaps.

State of the Art

I also just saw on TV that the Bridge re-opened, and it is State of the Art, with recording sensors. I am amazed that they could rebuild so fast!

I am just so thankful that the people we know in Mn, were all safe!

Sandy

Comment

I understand

the bridge cost 250 million.

Now we would like put up a new bridge frm Portland to Vancouver, WA. on I-5. Estimated cost -4 BILLION dollars.

Comment

Little Bridge

On tax day 2007, a nor'easter damaged a little tiny bridge on a little tiny country road in my little tiny town. The road and bridge have been closed ever since. The bridge might get completed by the end of this year or during 2009 for $1.3 million. I'm impressed with what MN did.

Comment

I have yet

to go over the new bridge, but I'll say traffic is already better now that its open. This bridge is the perfect example of what you can do when motivated by emotion, and you throw enough money at the problem. Seems a bit of civic pride went in too- 2 shifts, 12 hours a day. I think construction stopped for a total of less than a day. I'm sure the 27 million dollar early completion bonus might have helped too...
          "Congress has spoken to this issue through its audible silence."
          Anyone ever notice they beat the daylights out of the definition of a child, but they don't spend much time at all defining "parent"?

Comment

Mighty Mississippi

Originally posted by veritas View Post

Now we would like put up a new bridge frm Portland to Vancouver, WA. on I-5. Estimated cost -4 BILLION dollars.
            Is that the cost of building over both the Willamette and the Snake? If so, that is probably 20-fold the size of the 35W bridge. People think of the "Mighty Mississippi" but unless you've been to Minneapolis you don't realize the river is only a stream, barely navigable, less than 100 ft wide. It has a strong flow, but only from the elevation drop through the impounded rapids upon which the old mill town was built. Compare this to its width along the Arkansas border - consistently between a mile and two miles wide.

By comparison to some geographical areas, Minnesota doesn't screw around. They have well-trained union workforces and they hop right on it. Expensive yes, with high taxes, but the population has a strong work ethic, high income level and consistently ranked close to the top in education for decades.

In order to appreciate this, you would have to live in a state that yawns and drones its way through highway projects, with lowball wages and millions to contractors with cronies in the statehouse. Those orange barrels you see on our interstates are the state flower.

Comment

Originally posted by Nashville View Post

By comparison to some geographical areas, Minnesota doesn't screw around. They have well-trained union workforces and they hop right on it. Expensive yes, with high taxes, but the population has a strong work ethic, high income level and consistently ranked close to the top in education for decades.
              Its a great place to live, but one reason for us getting our projects done so quickly is the weather: when the ground is only thawed from mid to late April through about October, you need to hustle. It is joked we have 2 seasons: winter and road construction.
              "Congress has spoken to this issue through its audible silence."
              Anyone ever notice they beat the daylights out of the definition of a child, but they don't spend much time at all defining "parent"?

Comment

It's truly amazing....

what they were able to accomplish. I know several construction workers who worked on that project for months on end (my husband is in the union trades). We live about 2-1/2 hours north of the bridge but try to go down that way at least twice a year, to "get away". It's a nice trip to a big city, compared to our 85,000 population here in Duluth.

We drove past the damage back in January and it was quite a horrific site. We can't wait to drive over the new bridge during both the day and night to see what was accomplished.

The memorial statues are also very touching. It's good to remember when those are lost in such tragedies.

Comment

Originally posted by Nashville View Post
                  Is that the cost of building over both the Willamette and the Snake? If so, that is probably 20-fold the size of the 35W bridge. People think of the "Mighty Mississippi" but unless you've been to Minneapolis you don't realize the river is only a stream, barely navigable, less than 100 ft wide. It has a strong flow, but only from the elevation drop through the impounded rapids upon which the old mill town was built. Compare this to its width along the Arkansas border - consistently between a mile and two miles wide.

In order to appreciate this, you would have to live in a state that yawns and drones its way through highway projects, with lowball wages and millions to contractors with cronies in the statehouse. Those orange barrels you see on our interstates are the state flower.

The Interstate bridge crosses the Columbia. The span would be twice that of the Minnesota bridge. But that is with 3 traffic lanes only each direction.

What do you think 10 lanes at 234 million (Minnesota) or 6 lanes (Oregon) at 4.4 Billion?

Comment

Originally posted by veritas View Post

We my Aunt Mabel's behind! Maybe you want to do it, but I don't.

Comment

Working...
                    X