Can I do or not!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I do or not!

I am a CPA in Illinois and I could get a client in State of Michigan.

Can I do Accounting, Tax etc for this client in Illinois? I probably can not physically work "in" Michigan as I need licence but can I do accounting work in Chicago for this client?

Thanks!

My Take on This

...and I'm hoping some of our MI people will answer too.

You are not breaking any laws by working in Illinois so long as you are in good standing in Illinois. They don't care if you bring work from anywhere.

The only real problem is if your Michigan client must submit tax returns, payroll reports, etc. and some reference to a Michigan registration is required which is attached to your preparation signature.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post
      ...and I'm hoping some of our MI people will answer too.

You are not breaking any laws by working in Illinois so long as you are in good standing in Illinois. They don't care if you bring work from anywhere.

The only real problem is if your Michigan client must submit tax returns, payroll reports, etc. and some reference to a Michigan registration is required which is attached to your preparation signature.
      Here is what I was thinking to tell this client: I will help you as a consultant in setting up QuickBooks, make sure that YOUR bookkeeper is maintaing Quickbooks correctly from time to time, and some consulting for internal management. I am NOT willing to do Business or peronal tax return. I will provide payroll sevices (webbased).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Comment

Full Service

This approach will eventually lose this customer. He will not want to rely on his bookkeeper for one function, on you for another, and on another tax preparer for yet another.

He will eventually find a "full service" accountant in his area.

Comment

I'm a CPA in metro Detroit with clients in a handful of states. Snaggletooth is correct, that is not a good plan.

As far as I know, you don't need to be licensed in MI though you could get verification by calling the state, (517) 241-9288.
          "Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society." ~ Mark Skousen

Comment

Uniform Accountancy Act

I would go ahead and accept the engagement.

Michigan passed Bill 5936 adopting the Uniform Accountancy Act which is the CPA reciprocal law that in short allows a CPA that is licensed in another state to practice without notice or fee.

See here: http://www.michiganvotes.org/2008-HB-5936

Carolyn

Comment

Working...
            X