Presidential Candidates Tax Proposal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it my imagination or did I hear Obama propose a tax plan that would eliminate income taxes for senior citizens earning $50,000 or less in either AGI or taxable income? If so I am assuming those taxpayers would not need the services of a tax preparer therefore some tax professionals who cater to senior citizens, may be forced out of business. Tax preparation is not an occupation that can be outsourced overseas not to mention the increase in unemployment we are currently experiencing. This seems to go against everything the Democrats stand for. Your thoughts?

The candidates can say "if elected I will..." to anything in order to try for votes but, the President does not make the law, the congress does. They all would be better off saying "if elected I will fight for"...there is no guarantee to any of their "I wills".
    Further I am really tired of the media making such a deal about the personal beliefs of candidates...laws are supposed to be based on the will of the people. If the majority of the citizens do not want or agree with a proposal and make their feels know, it is not likely that it will become law. Unless, of course, your congressmen are not listening to you and are pushing their own agenda. taxea
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Listening to the presidential candidates rhetoric is like going back to the same dog and pony show.

Comment

There's 1 president

Originally posted by taxea View Post
        The candidates can say "if elected I will..." to anything in order to try for votes but, the President does not make the law, the congress does. They all would be better off saying "if elected I will fight for"...there is no guarantee to any of their "I wills".
        Further I am really tired of the media making such a deal about the personal beliefs of candidates...laws are supposed to be based on the will of the people. If the majority of the citizens do not want or agree with a proposal and make their feels know, it is not likely that it will become law. Unless, of course, your congressmen are not listening to you and are pushing their own agenda. taxea
        100 Senators and 543 (or so) Congressmen/women/people (whatever). If we elect the right representatives in the Legislature the person who is President is irrelevant in the whole.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshinNC View Post
          100 Senators and 543 (or so) Congressmen/women/people (whatever). If we elect the right representatives in the Legislature the person who is President is irrelevant in the whole.
          Josh - No to pick on you, but just for clarification, I believe that the 543 number that you mention will include the Senators. Currently there are 100 Senators and 435 Representatives. There are 2 Senators for each state and the Reps are given according to population of states. I don't remember exactly how often, but periodically congress will be re-apportioned, with some states that are losing population, losing the number of reps that it has and the growing states gaining in the number of reps. I believe that it is South Dakota that only has one rep for the entire state and 2 Senators.

LT
          Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Thank you for the clarification

Originally posted by thomtax View Post
            Josh - No to pick on you, but just for clarification, I believe that the 543 number that you mention will include the Senators. Currently there are 100 Senators and 435 Representatives. There are 2 Senators for each state and the Reps are given according to population of states. I don't remember exactly how often, but periodically congress will be re-apportioned, with some states that are losing population, losing the number of reps that it has and the growing states gaining in the number of reps. I believe that it is South Dakota that only has one rep for the entire state and 2 Senators.

LT
            My point is still that the hands of government are controlled by the other elected representatives, not the President, whomever he/she may be.

Comment

Ah but, he or she still has the veto power taxea

Comment

But a veto proof Senate

Originally posted by taxea View Post
                Ah but, he or she still has the veto power taxea
                nulifies that power. So, essentially, your vote for your Congressperson and Senator are much more important than your vote for President.

Comment

I rest my case...which is: candidates should not say "if elected I will" but rather "if elected I will fight for" taxea

Comment

Working...
                  X