Business trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business trip

Client attended a seminar to further her business, learning new procedures, etc. She has an s corp. The s corp has 3 shareholders - herself, her husband and her adult son.

Her son went with her on the trip. He did not attend the seminar but drove her there. It was in another state.

Would his meals be deductible by the s corp?

I think I already know the answer but would just like to hear from some others. So I can honestly tell her I researched the issue.

Thanks.

Linda F

Why did he drive?

Is there a reason for him driving her there, other than someone along for company? If she was unable to drive herself, then his participation may be necessary for her to attend and in that case I would say his meals are deductible.
    "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

expenses

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
      Client attended a seminar to further her business, learning new procedures, etc. She has an s corp. The s corp has 3 shareholders - herself, her husband and her adult son.

Her son went with her on the trip. He did not attend the seminar but drove her there. It was in another state.

Would his meals be deductible by the s corp?

I think I already know the answer but would just like to hear from some others. So I can honestly tell her I researched the issue.

Thanks.

Linda F
      If the corporation paid the expenses for her, of course.
      But if she paid her own expenses, then there had better be a document somewhere in
      the form of an accountable plan allowing her reimbursement.
      And for his meals, no.
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

That is the line of reasoning that I thought about.

She does have a note for one of the meals that they discussed marketing for the business with the procedures she was learning about. So I guess one meal could be considered a board meeting.

I will make sure that she has an accountable plan in place. I think that I told her about that before.

Linda F

Comment

Board meeting?

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
          That is the line of reasoning that I thought about.

She does have a note for one of the meals that they discussed marketing for the business with the procedures she was learning about. So I guess one meal could be considered a board meeting.

I will make sure that she has an accountable plan in place. I think that I told her about that before.

Linda F
          not unless a formal board meeting was due per the bylaws, or a special meeting
          called by due process according to the bylaws.

Now, if my wife were an employee of my S corp and accompanied me to a meeting,
          there's no way I would even consider writing off her meal cost just because we happend
          to gossip about a client. (grin
          ChEAr$,
          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
          X