Any Mississippi people out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Mississippi people out there?

I have a client that is selling her home in TN, she has lived in in more than 2 years.

She also has 165 acres of land to sell in TN. She is planning to marry in a couple of months and move to MS. If she has already moved when the land sells, will she pay MS state tax on the land in TN? If it sells in TN before she moves to MS, will she still have to pay MS if she becomes a resident at any time in 2008? I am not familiar with the part year resident return for MS.

I attempted to go to the MS website, but it is either down or something is wacky with my computer. I am on vacation, but she needs to know now.

Thanks!!

Why does she need to know now? Will she change her plans to marry or move? Most states require income to be reported pursuant to dates of residence in that state.
    TTB All States for MS says "part-yr and non-residents compute tax based on AGI from Mississippi sources, which includes all items of AGI received while a Mississippi resident." So it looks like she will pay MS tax if she sells the land after she moves, and there is no out-of-state tax credit to apply since TN does not have an income tax.

Comment

If she sells the land after moving to Mississippi, she will owe state taxes on the gains.
      Mississippi does not have a capital gains tax break.

Comment

Working...
      X