Non Profit 501(c)(3) help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non Profit 501(c)(3) help needed

An organization in town is applying for a grant and needs proof of their 501(c)(3) status in order to be considered for the grant. This non profit has been in existence since 1944 and has never filed a return as they fell below the $25,000 filing requirement.

Needless to say, no one knows where their notice stating they are a 501(c)(3) is and called me today asking how to obtain this notice.

I would like to help them out but admittedly have limited experience with this area. Anyone know where to look for information so I can get them on the right track?

Appreciate any and all responses!

IRS Pub 78

Search information about a tax-exempt organization’s federal tax status and filings.

Would finding it on line help?
    JG

Comment

501c3

There's an Exempt Organization Help Line 877-829-5500 that can point you in the right direction.
      Also - you may wish to contact your state's Department of State to obtain a copy of the Articles of Incorporation as backup proof - although I realize it's the IRS approval letter is what you're looking for. Also - depending upon which state your organization is in - the Attorney General's Office probably can help you, as they might possibly have records dating back that far that would have required a copy of the IRS approval letter.
      Did you file the 990-N this year? That might help.
      Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Working...
      X