Quickbooks 2008 update?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quickbooks 2008 update?

I recently acquired a client that brought in a thumb drive that contained files created in QB 2008. I have QuickBooks Premier Accountant Edition 2006. The only reason I got this was Intuit packaged this with their ProSeries tax software. Upon looking at QB 2008 prices, they are about 1/4 the price of QuickBooks Premier Accountant Edition 2008. If I was to purchase QB 2008, would my QuickBooks Premier Accountant Edition 2006 files transfer over?

Also, I like this feature on my QuickBooks Premier Accountant Edition 2006. When I am in one of my accounts/ledger, I can select "find" from the menu bar under "edit", then I can find by name, account, memo etc. Then I can create a report and within the report I can customize the 2 dates. Does QB 2008 have the same feature?

Better shop for Quickbooks Somewhere

They now appear to have a version aimed at accounting businesses that want to keep their own books and the books of other businesses and they have a specialized edition for about every kind of small business there is. The best news of all is that if your client has a specialized version and you have the accountant's version your client can let you peek inside his computer and manipulate the program there. But at least when I shopped for accounting software QB did not have but one package that could handle more than one business per installation. Or maybe it did but the other version was not in the Asheville NC Staples where I shopped.

Comment

QB Pro 2008

I am guessing you are referring to QB Pro 2008 as that is now the "standard" edition of the software. They do offer QB Simple Start, but this is pretty limited and is only useful for pretty small businesses. Your QB 06 files should convert over; but once the file is converted to the newer version, you cannot transfer it back to the 06 version. Also, some of the functionality and reports available in the Accountant Edition will not be available in the Pro 2008 version.

Comment

Ok

I didn't know the names of QB Versions and I had read OP too hastily. I believe the version I spoke of as being the only one I knew of aimed at Accountants was the Premier Accountants version. I cannot be sure of that because four months later the software sits uninstalled because the potential client for whom I bought the software is still only a potential client and I am at present approximately 275 miles away from the office in which that box is stored. I could at one time have returned the software and I might still be able to, but I would not feel right since I don't think I was done wrong in any way by Intuit or Staples. I bought software for a client who had not yet signed up and I think it is reasonable for me to take the responsibility for that decision.

Comment

Premier Accountant Edition

This is the version marketed to accountants as it will allow you to open a QB file created in any of the other versions offered by Intuit. It allows you to "toggle" to any of the editions so you can see the exact same screens as your client would see in their particular edition of the software. Premier Accountant also contains all the reports found in all the different editions so you do not have to toggle to another version to run a particular report. I believe it also offers the fixed asset manager and a financial statement creator module.

Comment

QBooks

Intuit has you totally at their mercery. I have not upgraded since QB99. Use Medlin payroll for $45.00 a year.

I bought a QB upgrade a few years ago that advertised payroll included. Installed program, tried to set up payroll...HA, subscription required. They did not mention that on the software box. Took it back to Staples, pointed out my problem and received a full refund even though I opened and installed the program.

It's very difficult to deal with a company that it totally ripping off it's customer base. I will never, never again even think about an upgrade and let them sink their teeth into my business.

Your right, I'm more that a little bitter at their treatment.
            Confucius say:
            He who sits on tack is better off.

Comment

Qb

Interesting RLyman -
              I feel the same way - Intuit is like a car manufacturer - every year they come up with a new model - and make you feel as if your last year's model with worthless.
              I presently have QB Accountants Premier 2007 edition - and I think I'm going to stick with it - and not buy a newer version for a while.
              While I'm not a QB advisor - I'm able to get what I need from the system for my client writeups. For my other clients that actually have their own version of QB-whatever version - I'll go to the client, make any necessary adjustments on their system - get printouts needed to use for tax preparation or financial statements. I don't do audits or reviews.
              I DON'T, and NEVER HAVE, used their payroll function. I use CFS Payroll program, generate whatever reports I need to book the payroll information into QB.
              Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

KBTS, does this mean

When you said "any other version", should my 2006 Premier Accountant version be able to open up a QB 2008 version file or do I need a 2008 Premier Accountant version to do that?

Originally posted by KBTS View Post
                This is the version marketed to accountants as it will allow you to open a QB file created in any of the other versions offered by Intuit. It allows you to "toggle" to any of the editions so you can see the exact same screens as your client would see in their particular edition of the software. Premier Accountant also contains all the reports found in all the different editions so you do not have to toggle to another version to run a particular report. I believe it also offers the fixed asset manager and a financial statement creator module.

Comment

To open a 2008 file..

you will need a 2008 version yourself.

A 2008 version will update prior versions and then open them. You will not be able to send them back in the prior format. An old version won't open a newer version's file.

The 2008 accountants version will open 2007 accountant's copy from your client and export your adjustments back to a 2007 client copy.

If you are going to get this, consider using joining the proadvisor program. For pretty much the same price, you get all versions of QB, the POS, and access to wholesale pricing for your clients.

FWIW, I've made a lot of money off Intuit

Comment

Web Site

Go to the Intuit QuickBooks web site. You can compare versions and prices. You will need a year that's at least as current as your most current client's year. And, you will need a version that's as least as "complex" as your most recent client's version -- you can't get all his bells and whistles in Pro that he has in Premier. But, your clients are likely to have Pro or even the Simple Start or whatever they're calling it now. I too hated to pay QB prices, but once I had two clients using QB.... So, I gave in and am in the ProAdvisor program -- so for the same money they send me the latest version of everything, offer training, have a dedicated US support team, etc. Now I have several clients using QB. I accept all major credit cards through QB and do my own payroll (a couple of part-timers seasonally) via QB. I've had a couple of new clients through their web site, also. You can get disks of the Simple Start program and free downloads of it to give or sell your clients. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Comment

I use an old version of QB, but have never for payroll. I don't see how you can get away without annual updates if you want that feature, due to the tax rate changes.

Comment

Originally posted by RLymanC View Post
                        Intuit has you totally at their mercery. I have not upgraded since QB99. Use Medlin payroll for $45.00 a year.

I bought a QB upgrade a few years ago that advertised payroll included. Installed program, tried to set up payroll...HA, subscription required. They did not mention that on the software box. Took it back to Staples, pointed out my problem and received a full refund even though I opened and installed the program.

It's very difficult to deal with a company that it totally ripping off it's customer base. I will never, never again even think about an upgrade and let them sink their teeth into my business.

Your right, I'm more that a little bitter at their treatment.
                        I actually downloaded a compressed format of Medlin but McAfee Site Adviser said the site is dangerous because it had credible reports that the software contains malware. Would you have any comment on that? I also thought Medlin had more to offer than payroll.

Comment

Working...
                        X