1099 Misc for Investment Income

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1099 Misc for Investment Income

I have a client who is basically a silent investor in a corp that buys/sells foreclosed properties. Last year he received a 1099-misc to document his earnings, the amount is in box 3 Other income.

The figure in this box represents his portion of the profit on his investment. I'm surprised it's reported on a 1099 Misc -where would you report this? Would you report it as other income?

Yes. Report it is other income - Line 21.
    If it is an S-corp it would be ordinary income on a K-1; and if it is a regular corp. it would be ordinary dividends. The end result is the same.

Comment

Question for Ed

Originally posted by ED SMITH View Post
      The end result is the same.
      I first wondered that treatment as C corp dividends would entitle the recipient to a 15% ceiling. But not necessarily true, and NOT true if the dividends are not "qualifying" dividends.

Ed if the investment is a public security, what is there about the paying entity which denies "qualifying" treatment?

Comment

Assuming of course corporation actually paid him

Originally posted by ED SMITH View Post
        Yes. Report it is other income - Line 21.
        If it is an S-corp it would be ordinary income on a K-1; and if it is a regular corp. it would be ordinary dividends. The end result is the same.
        the money, right?

Or, I guess, they might have taken the money and kept it, selling him more stock.
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
        X