Mr Refund

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr Refund

Got an email today at my business addy (the one the IRS has) wanting me to sign up with a RAL outfit called Mr. Refund.

Did anyone else get mail from this outfit recently?

Does anyone know anything about this outfit?

Does it burn anyone else up that the IRS gives out contact information on ppl covered by Circular 230 to anyone who wants it?

why do you believe the information came directly from the IRS? taxea
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Content of Form 23 Application for Enrollment

With the older version of Form 23 Application for Enrollment to Practice Before the IRS, there was a paragraph as follows: "Optional Privacy Act Consent to Public Disclosure of Enrollment Mailing Address--See Instructions Above. By my signature in this block, I, _____(sign your name)_______,hereby submit my written consent under the Privacy Act for the Office of Professional Responsibility to disclose my enrollment mailing address to the general public."

The "instructions above" say that the OPR will hold your address confidential, unless you give your consent, except insofar as various disciplinary proceedings cause disclosure.

The newer--attractively streamlined--version of Form 23 (Rev. Oct. 2007) does not have any block for consent for disclosure of enrollment mailing address. However, on the back of the form, there is a blanket Privacy Act Notice which states "...authorizes the IRS to disclose this information...to the general public in order to identify individuals currently or formerly eligible to represent taxpayers, including their location..."

P.S: I am very happy to say that I myself submitted the new, improved Form 23 early in June, and that I became an Enrolled Agent effective July 1. It took almost a month, though certainly less than 90 days. My wife who sent her Form 23 on the same day got her enrollment back 19 days after she sent it in.

The Tax Book was one of my favorite study materials as I was studying up for the exams at Prometric!

OtisMozzetti (not my real name), EA in Calif.

Comment

Answer

Originally posted by taxea View Post
        why do you believe the information came directly from the IRS? taxea
        Because they told me they would give out my contact information and because I am careful to whom I give that email address because I don't want vendors to have it.

Comment

Board

I received a Mr. Refund email recently. It was signed by a name I've seen on message boards, maybe the NAEA board. On that board and some others, actual names and e-mail addresses are used; so I thought that's where my information was obtained. I had no interest in RALs, so deleted the e-mail and can't compare it to what you received.

Comment

Otis

Originally posted by OtisMozzetti View Post
            P.S: I am very happy to say that I myself submitted the new, improved Form 23 early in June, and that I became an Enrolled Agent effective July 1. It took almost a month, though certainly less than 90 days. My wife who sent her Form 23 on the same day got her enrollment back 19 days after she sent it in.

The Tax Book was one of my favorite study materials as I was studying up for the exams at Prometric!

OtisMozzetti (not my real name), EA in Calif.
            You certainly were "quiet" about taking the exam, Otis!

Please let me be the first to congratulate you and your wife on passing.

Another EA in CA

Comment

more congrats!

on your and wife's EA status. Hope you both will join NAEA. The CA association of EA's is the oldest of the bunch and there are great opportunities for networking out there with the various state chapters.
              ChEAr$,
              Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
              X