EA License!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me Too

Congratulations. You worked hard and deserve the title.

Comment

Thanks so much again guys and gals

Speaking of pricing. I had a gal with around four rental houses get her taxes done at Liberty last year. They charged her $400. My charge would have come close to $180-$200. So I may do some calling to the major chains. I would like to keep my pricing just slightly below theirs.

I've also got to consider tax representation and everything that goes with it as Erch said. Maybe I can do some research on the net for that part.

Comment

Below the chains?!

Four rental houses for no more than $200?! Don't you think her lawyer charges more than that to draw up a lease? Are you in Appalachia? How many lines are on her depreciation schedules?

Think hard about positioning yourself BELOW the chains with the perception of ever-changing preparers working seasonally after a basic course. You want clients to come to you when they want something BETTER than the chains.

Don't compete on price. Compete on service: you're available year round at your same location, you can represent them before the IRS (for the appropriate fee, but they get their same preparer, unlike the chains), you have knowledge of many, many different tax situations, you offer (maybe) other services such as bookkeeping, you keep up with the latest technology, and on and on. You want loyal clients who appreciate your service, not price shoppers who come and go each year with the latest bargain price or gimmick like RALs or cheap mortgages.

Ask your current QUALITY clients for references. You don't want clients who come to you because you're cheaper than Liberty. They'll leave you for JH or whoever has a "sale" next year. You're the small, personal preparer with better skills than the chains can offer consistently.

Comment

FYI One of my clients

has 2 home rentals. My charge is about $450 for entire return.

Comment

Thank you Lion and Larry. No I am not in Appalachia This area has really grown.

I've been underestimating myself. I guess I thought keeping my pricing below the chains more in regards to simpler returns like 1040, Sche A, W-2s. I haven't finished this lady's tax return yet so I will be charging her more. So far just 4 lines of depreciation for the 4 houses.

I've just got to get my pricing and mind set. As Lion said compete on service not price. I don't want to be in a position that a tax preparer was in years ago. He has over 400 customers but nets what I do with 150. He could not sell his business because of this.

Comment

Working...
            X