Tracking deadlines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tracking deadlines

Hi there! I hope everyone is recovering and recharging!

Does anyone use software to track deadlines? Our bookkeeping work is eclipsing tax work, and tracking all of the deadlines is starting to drive me crazy! We need to track monthly and quarterly state sales tax deadlines, 941 deposits, state unemployment and L&I, and checking in with the 1040-ES clients, in addition to all of the federal tax returns.

I'd love to have a software product that will allow me to easily assign recurring deadlines to cilents, and report both by client and by deadline.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

I use Microsoft Outlook calendar.

Comment

Clients' deadlines

I, too, like MS Outlook Calendar for reminders of upcomg returns due.

BUT, BEFORE they get to MS Outlook, they need to be tracked within the client file.

I use an Excel spreadsheet, segregated by state and time period, i.e, quarter, monthly etc. On that spreadsheet, I establish MY deadline when I need to deal with the return and those dates are in red. All entries in these spreadsheets (one for each client) are my primary tracking method. A MS Outlook reminder is added to remind me what is due and when - the reminder reminds me to open the Excel tracking file for that client - reminders are usually 7 to 15 days ahead of the actual deadline - whatever is appropriate. When the return is done, I change to date from my deadline date to the completion date and change the color to navy blue. I periodically print the Excel spreadsheet for the client - IF they want to see it. A "glance" over the spreadsheet reveals any "telltale" red entries! At the end of each year, there are NO red entries (at least that is the way it is supposed to work!). If any red remains - well, it is like most "computer problems" - usually a matter of "operator error."

At the bottom of this tracking spreadsheet is the state, bank, federal, etc., "critical" information for the various agencies and access I will need to complete the various returns.

This Excel tracking spreadsheet has other advantages also. I have clients who must keep monthly inventory figures and a reminder on the last day of the month reminds me to fax them a reminder that I need an inventory figure(s) - "midnight tonight" - with space(s) on the fax to "fill in the blanks" and request to fax it back to me. It helps with clients who would otherwise say, "O, I forgot about that!"
      T. R. Miller
      SunTaxMan
      www.SunTaxMan.com

Comment

I also use Excell. I have 60 monthly bookkeeping clients and keeping track has been solved using Excell.

I have a "Due Date" program that I used for many, many years but the time needed to keep it up to date was not worth it. With excell I can just check-off what is completed. Some of my columns are Client Name, Federal ID #, 941 payments amt, State payment, and Sales tax. I use an O if something needs to be filed and an "X" if nothing needs to be filed, like sales tax returns or quarterly P/R retports. I use an "M" in the sales tax column for sales tax returns that need to be filed monthly.

I have a column for passwords for clients that I am making their State/federal ELF w/h payments and I have columns for> Notified client, 941 paid, State tax paid and clients' phone number.

You can customize excell to fit your operational needs. I print my monthly checklist monthly and sometimes I print 2 in a month based on special times of the year like January for controlling W-3/1099 issues, Corporate Extensions and other issues where a column is not set up for because it is a once a year item.
        Last edited by BOB W; 07-25-2008, 10:43 AM.
        This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Software

Your tax software or accounting software might have a module available for deadline tracking.

Comment

Working...
          X