U.s. Residence And Eic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U.s. Residence And Eic

I'm Brain Dead, Burned Out, Or Just Plain Confused. Please Help. I Have A Client Who Is A Missionary And Did Live Out Of The Country All Of 2007. Not Electing To Take The Foreign Exclusions Results In A Lower Tax Liability If The Earned Income Credit And Additional Child Tax Credit Can Be Used. What I've Researched Says Child That Lived With You And Does Not Say In The U S. But The Eic Worksheet That We Have To Keep In Our Files Says U.s. Is There A Difference Because My Client Is Coming Back To The U S. This Was Not A Chance Of Citizenship, Etc. Is He Considered Living In The U S Because He Is Reporting The Income To The U S And Not Taking The Foreign Exclusions That He Does Qualify For?

Your Answers

EIC is clearly ruled out because the taxpayer and the qualifying child must have resided together in the US for over half the year.

Additional Child Tax Credit might be allowed depending on which country the family resided in.

Why is a CMA doing an individual return? You would seem to be well qualified to work on returns for very large businesses but imho might well not be qualified at all to do returns for individuals and small businesses.

Comment

Working...
    X