Social Security-Retirement-children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social Security-Retirement-children

Had an interesting conversation tonight with a friend at our cigar hangout. He is 64 and wondering whether to take his benefits now. I explained the earnings limits and so on and he was thinking maybe wait to 66. He actually thinks he must wait to 67 to draw full benefits.

It occured to me that he has two children age 12 and 13 which would qualify for benefits also. He was unaware they may be able to draw benefits.

I wonder how many people now days who wait to have children at advanced ages might qualify?

Children's benefits affect his decision about when

It seems you are saying that benefits for his CHILDREN might sway (tip the balance for) his own decision about when to start his own benefits. I know a husband whose spouse intends to draw spouse benefits when she reaches her normal retirement age and thus delay her own benefits up to age 70. That similarly may be a case where delay in starting benefits may be wise, because the amount of those SPOUSE benefits (for 4 years between her ages 66 to 70) will be reduced if the husband starts to receive benefits at an early age.

Comment

Children don't draw SS benefits

Originally posted by veritas View Post
      Had an interesting conversation tonight with a friend at our cigar hangout. He is 64 and wondering whether to take his benefits now. I explained the earnings limits and so on and he was thinking maybe wait to 66. He actually thinks he must wait to 67 to draw full benefits.

It occured to me that he has two children age 12 and 13 which would qualify for benefits also. He was unaware they may be able to draw benefits.

I wonder how many people now days who wait to have children at advanced ages might qualify?
      just because the father is.

Children not of majority age might draw benefits upon the death of the father, but not
      before.

Unless things have changed. Have they?
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Checkout SSA.gov

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post

Children not of majority age might draw benefits upon the death of the father, but not
        before.

Unless things have changed. Have they?

It says death, disability, retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
          before.Unless things have changed. Have they?
          I don't know if they changed, but yessir, benefits for minor children are received upon retirement or disability of the parent (as well as death), until they are 18 years of age. In the case of retirement, you may have to be full retirement age (FRA) -- whatever that is for your age group. Not sure if early retirement would qualify.

Comment

From SSA

Who can get child's benefits
            Your child can get benefits if he or she is your biological child, adopted child or dependent stepchild. (In some cases, your child also could be eligible for benefits on his or her grandparents’ earnings.)

To get benefits, a child must have:

A parent(s) who is disabled or retired and entitled to Social Security benefits; or
            A parent who died after having worked long enough in a job where he or she paid Social Security taxes.
            The child also must be:

Unmarried;
            Younger than 18;
            18-19 years old and a full-time student (no higher than grade 12); or 18 or older and disabled. (The disability must have started before age 22.)

BTW, I believe the child(ren)'s benefits are determined in coordination with the applicable family maximum benefit.

Comment

NYEA Post

I have had t/p clients, that were of retirement age and receiving social security retirement benefits, that still had children under the age of 18 or maybe even 19, and the parents receive their SSA retirement benefit, but the underage child also received a SSA benefit.

So Veritas, based on your post, if your t/p waits until retirement age, it is probably likely that t/p's underage child or children will also receive a benefit.

Sandy

Comment

Learn something new every day;

(sometimes even two things!)

I wonder how much the benefit would be; half of mine? a portion of mine and my wife's?

And with the 1,000$ child tax credit.... !

But will my wife agree?
                ChEAr$,
                Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

I just sign up for full SS and my son (9) will get SS also. I don't have the amount yet but I think it is around $800 for my son.
                  Last edited by BOB W; 07-08-2008, 11:55 AM.
                  This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Working...
                  X