Employee Reclassification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employee Reclassification

A rare early start to the day - brings this thread from the close of the "Bad Audit" as it veers into a somewhat different subject.

One of the results of this mass reclassification into employee status "for all recipients no matter what" is the effect on W-2s, and Federal tax reporting for those whose records are being changed.

Since the audit, I have acquired a copy of the audit manual in use by the Tennessee Dept of Labor. It's no wonder the auditor is as bad as she is, and I made the same statement about her supervisor (normally an option for appeal). Simply put, there is no realistic connection between what they look for and the IRS criteria published in Pub 15A. One board member commented that a reclassification for state purposes does not equate to a reclassification for federal purposes. And with the criteria being so drastically different, one would tend to agree. TN will not admit to using different criteria, but their application of the rules is totally one-sided.

My question, however, is how can you classify an employee for state purposes, issue a W-2, and maintain non-employee status on his federal return? Can the payer avoid this by simply not issuing a W-2 and a corrected 1099? I believe the state can change their own records, but would be surprised if the state went to the trouble to issue a W-2 themselves.

Another question for the "sharing-of-information" between state and federal gubbermints: There is a reconciliation performed somewhere between the Federal 940 and the SUTA returns. Although I am not intimately knowledgeable about how this is done, I do know that there is an effort made to track down people not reporting to one authority or the other. Would this reconciliation reveal a reclassification made at the state level but not at the federal?

If anyone has experience with this type of thing, I would love to hear from you. I went through a similar audit years ago, but on that one I agreed 100% with the auditor, and complied to make the federal side consistent.

By-the-way, the newest objective of these SUTA audits is no longer to collect SUTA revenue. It is to identify persons whom if an employee would provide a collection track for the state to recover child support. Regardless of how worthy or politically correct this may be, there should not be a distortion of federal application without separate Tennessee legislation.
    Last edited by Snaggletooth; 06-28-2008, 05:22 AM.

"...how can you classify an employee for state purposes, issue a W-2, and maintain non-employee status on his federal return?"

Hmmm...I imagine the W2 would show zero in the Fed boxes and income in the state boxes only. The 940 could show this as exempt in order to tie to the SUTA forms.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks to BHoffman and to others who posted on the related thread. Looks like BHoffman has the answer to the reconciliation problem.

This is the worst result of any audit in 25 years - not from the standpoint of dollar adjustments but from principle. I did nothing but fume for 24 hours.

Thanks as usual for support from others who occasionally find themselves in the same position.

Snag

Comment

Does federal regulation pre-empt state regulation?

I am not a court or even a lawyer, but...

It seems to me that federal courts, and probably also state courts, would rule that federal regulation of employee status vs. independent contractor status pre-empts state regulation. Though we all aware there is lots of nonconformity between state income taxes and federal income tax, it would seem that a hodgepodge of state rules about who is, or isn't, an employee would be so burdensome and problematic that it would PRE-EMPT state regulation of worker status.
        Last edited by OtisMozzetti; 06-29-2008, 09:38 AM. Reason: changed "the" to "that"

Comment

Don't Know

But it certainly wouldn't fly in a Tennessee court. When a state agency is involved in a Tennessee court, the track record is absolutely horrible. In some cases, the State does not even allow a plaintiff to bring suit. Not to mention that the dollar value would have to be huge just to justify the legal battle.

It's like you getting a traffic ticket in a non-resident state, in a locale strapped for revenue, and a cash-register court.

I think if there were decisions in Federal court, it would help because the position would survive at the audit level, certainly if the auditor's supervisor were involved.

Comment

Working...
          X