Repo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repo

My client will be the buyer and the BANK is the seller of real estate. The former owner had very specific use for the building and the a lot of equipment, specific use, was left in the building. The purchase will take place with one closing for 2.5 million building and equipment will be transfered for $1 on an SBA mortgage. My client has set up 2 LLCs one to hold the real estate and one for the operations with the equipment.

The bank in step two has agreed to loan the new operating enity $200,000 in cash, working capital, and take the equipment as collateral. The reason is they had an appraisal done that showed the value at $400,000, equipment, and they would loan cash for 50% of the appraised value. If the equipment had to be sold its value would be around $200,000. My problem is the $2.5 million would be on closing papers. The SBA is accepting the mortgage against the property only. I of course would love to assign $200,000 to equipment to be owned by the operating enity. To do that I think I would have to show a distribution to the partners, Real Estate Enity, of $200,000, equipment, (50% each) have them contribute it to the operating entity, equipment (50% each). Of course that leaves the Real Estate enity with a cost basis of 2.3 million-does SBA care? Does IRS care?

Can I do this? or how could I do this. My client would be in a like business so the building and the equipment works for them. The bank is anxious to sell this. I think that is why they are willing to do the $200,000 to the operating enity.

I am bringing this back. I'll comment a little but am not sure.

I of course would love to assign $200,000 to equipment to be owned by the operating enity. To do that I think I would have to show a distribution to the partners, Real Estate Enity, of $200,000, equipment, (50% each) have them contribute it to the operating entity, equipment (50% each). Of course that leaves the Real Estate enity with a cost basis of 2.3 million-does SBA care? Does IRS care?
    But is the mortgage in the name of the first LLC?

You would be splitting the cost of the property between the building and the equipment anyway right?

I don't think the cost of the equipment would be related to the mortgage but rather assigned by FMV from the sale. But maybe someone else can weigh in.
    JG

Comment

Working...
    X