1040X to correct marital status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1040X to correct marital status

New client was married 8/04. Prior acct. filed them as HOH and S for 04. How should I correct this using the 1040X format? Do I use 2 X's and show the change on hers from S to MFJ and attach it to an X for him showing the change from HOH to MFJ and filling in the combined numbers on only 1 1040X?

Use the HOH as the primary and file one 1040X by adding the spouse

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
      Use the HOH as the primary and file one 1040X by adding the spouse
      I have to disagree. The federal and state returns for both had either balances due or refunds. You're going to have to include those payments/refunds in the amended returns. They're probably going to come out ahead filing MFJ. The IRS is going to want reconciliation before they send a check.

Pick one to be the MFJ return, and include in the explanation that you're pulling a refund, or amount paid, off the other return. Also file an amended for the other, with decreases making all the "corrected amounts" zero and an explanation of what you're doing.

I'd be inclined to choose the amended-to-MFJ person as the person who will be listed first on the MFJ return. If there's a problem, that will make it easier for the IRS to figure out which return you're talking about if you have to deal with it later.

Comment

Would it be OK to attach copies of both returns that were originally filed?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
          Would it be OK to attach copies of both returns that were originally filed?
          That's probably a good idea.

You still want to file two 1040Xs. The one you change to MFJ should be fine, but you'll have the other one floating out there. I wouldn't be confident that the person processing the MFJ amended would cancel the other return.

Comment

Working...
          X