Pension act of 2006 extended?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pension act of 2006 extended?

This is where taxpayers age 70-1/2 can donate from their qualified retirement plans directly to a qualified charity and the donation is reflected on the taxpayers 1099-R by a reductions in box 1 (gross amount).

Does anyone know if this tax law got extended for 2008?

Contribution

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
    This is where taxpayers age 70-1/2 can donate from their qualified retirement plans directly to a qualified charity and the donation is reflected on the taxpayers 1099-R by a reductions in box 1 (gross amount).

I don't know about it being extended past 12/31/07, but it was only for IRA's, not other retirement plans. See The TaxBook, page 1-20
    Jiggers, EA

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post

A provision to amend §408(d)(8) to extend the last date of 12/31/07 to 12/31/09 is contained in the Extenders bill (S 2886) introduced by Senator Baucus. I don't know where this bill sits in the legislative track. I believe the extension was also introduced in an other bill in the Senate but the extenders package might be the best chance for passage.

Comment

Originally posted by New York Enrolled Agent View Post
        A provision to amend §408(d)(8) to extend the last date of 12/31/07 to 12/31/09 is contained in the Extenders bill (S 2886) introduced by Senator Baucus. I don't know where this bill sits in the legislative track..

Senate vote this date was 50-44 on a proceedural motion on this bill, falling 10 votes short of the necessary votes to move forward to debate on the tax package. Just a bump in the road. They will try again soon.

Comment

§408(d)(8) may have been extended(age 70.5 tax free etc.

This if from Yahoo:

At Yahoo Finance, you get free stock quotes, up-to-date news, portfolio management resources, international market data, social interaction and mortgage rates that help you manage your financial life.

"Tax-free charitable donations. If you're 70.5 years or older you can withdraw up to $100,000 from an IRA and donate it to charity, tax-free. You can tap a traditional or Roth IRA, but you will typically save more in taxes if you go with the traditional account since you can withdraw your Roth contributions tax-free anyway, says Luscombe."

As I recall the other one allowed the age 70.5+ taxpayer to donate their retirement distribution directly to the qualifying charity for which the amount donated reduced their 1099-R issued from the retirement Trustee.

Comment

It has been extended in the monstrosity PL 110-343 through 2009.
            Last edited by solomon; 10-16-2008, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by solomon View Post
              It has been extended in the monstrosity PL 110-343 through 2009.
              TheTaxBook is the #1 fast-answer tax publication in America. Our publications provide fast answers to tax questions for tax practitioners!

Comment

I wonder who has excess in their retirment plans to contribute to charity?

Comment

Roth versus Traditional

Let me see if I have this straight:

TRADITIONAL IRA - The 1099-R is reduced by the amount of the charitable distribution, thus the taxpayer does not report income, neither does he report charitable deduction.

ROTH IRA - The taxpayer is not required to report income under any circumstance, and is allowed a charitable deduction on Sch. A.

Is this correct??

Comment

Well you probably have to report it in 15a still. Just not as taxable.

In fact what my software is doing when I enter a 1099-R for charitable distribution it puts the total amount on 15a, prints "QCD" just to the right, and if I have any taxable amount left it puts that on 15b.

Comment

Haven't looked

I haven't looked at the instructions in a really long time, but as David posted, that is what my software does as well.

So much like the Social Security or Rollover IRA's or Part Taxable Part Non taxable IRA's still report the full amount and then the taxable amount if any.

Sandy

Comment

Working...
                      X