Non-Qualified Annuity Distribution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-Qualified Annuity Distribution

Hi, Im a newbie here, but my situation is this, my mother cashed out her non qualified annuity, this has happend within the last 7 days, is there anyway she can "roll over" some of this money so that she don't have to put the entire amount on this years income tax.

thanks for you time,

Rockbrother

Good day RB1

Originally posted by Rockbrother1 View Post
    Hi, Im a newbie here, but my situation is this, my mother cashed out her non qualified annuity, this has happend within the last 7 days, is there anyway she can "roll over" some of this money so that she don't have to put the entire amount on this years income tax.

thanks for you time,

Rockbrother
    This message board is a site designed primarily for tax preparers to interact with each other to help resolve tax situations.

In your case, I am going to venture an answer or two: "Maybe" and "Could Be".

WIthout knowing the details of your mom's financial affairs, it is impossible to give you a "good" answer; Without knowing where her tax home is [and the source of the annuity], it is impossible to give you a good answer; Without knowing your mom's age, it is impossible to give you a good answer; finally, without knowing the purpose for the withdrawal, it is impossible to give you a good answer.

I hope you understand that what I am really saying is that every situation needs to be examined in depth.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE contact a reputable CPA/EA/Tax Lawyer in your local area. You definitely need to discuss this with her/him -- as you work with that individual over time and build a relationship with him/her, you -- and your mom -- will benefit enormously.
    Last edited by travis bickle; 06-10-2008, 06:32 PM.
    Just because I look dumb does not mean I am not.

Comment

Agree with Travis

However, I will offer another piece of information.

If my memory serves me correctly, the only way to defer taxes on a non-qualified annuity is to effect a Section 1035 Exchange - Direct transfer Company to Company.

Since your Mother took possession of the funds, I believe it is fully taxable in the year of distribution.

Do a google search on non-qualified annuities - taxes and transfers.

Sandy

Comment

1035 Exchange

Is the only way to "rollover" the funds. Too late, sorry.
        In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
        Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Working...
        X