Spouse lives in CA 8 mos tax year job related

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as required by his employer. Is he allowed to deduct the moving exp on form 3903 or un reimbursed employee exps form 2106 (only W2ed, not self employed) . Would his miles and airfare be deductible back and forth to his AZ resident during those 8 mos?

Thanks

Only if this is a temporary job assignment that does not last longer than the restricted time. I think it is 11 months.
    also the rule, last I checked, is that if moving expenses are reimburseable by the employer and the client chooses not to take the reimbursement...he can't file for the expense deduction. taxea
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

So form 2106 opposed to 3903?

None of the fees were reimbursed nor were they reimbursable. So would I enter these exps on the 2106 and something I forgot, would the spouse/employees rent, utilities and any other exps pertaining to the apt the spouse rented in CA, also be considered employee related exps?

Comment

spouse lives in CA etc

Employee's move would be employee business expenses 2106...including rent, travel, etc as long as the time restriction applies. Employee is allowed by law to travel back and forth.
        Personal home expenses in CA are not deductible.taxea

Comment

Taxea, employee home in 2007, AZ where employee

officially returned in Aug of 2007. Just a hunch, the apt the employee rented in CA for this employer mandated stay, should qualify for unreimbursed employee exp.

Comment

Look what Kiplinger Dec 2007 has to say about this..

To be sure, people who have their own businesses have more opportunities to shift their expenses to Uncle Sam than do those who work for others. But you make a costly mistake if, as an employee, you assume you're out of luck.

Page down to "Temporary assignment"

Comment

spouse lives in CA

Sorry...my mistake....if temp job was in CA and home residence is in AZ...my answer is the same except that none of the main residence expenses are deductible. taxea

Comment

What makes the expenses deductible on 2106 is the time limit on the temporary job.
                per diem should also be researched in this incidence...taxea

Comment

Thanks Taxea for your help...

I spent 2 weeks in paradise about 7 yrs ago. Quite the place.

Comment

I'm one of the lucky ones...born and raised! taxea

Comment

Working...
                    X