Tax course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax course

I live in California and my understanding is that I have to be registered to prepare taxes. I would like some feedback on any good courses that I can take online. Also any feedback that can help me learn about preparing taxes will be appreciated. Thank you

California requires registration

...as do some other states.

Do you have any "hands on" experience, such as VITA, HRB, or similar? Maybe even just filing returns for your brother and sister? This is another "leg" in the learning formula, as well as formal learning.

We have several California preparers on this forum, and they can address registration with you.

As far as stuff to read, obviously, this forum is provided by "The Tax Book" - a quick answer reference book many of us feel is the best product of its kind. Explore the links on this website. Also "google up" NATP and NAEA, the websites for National Association of Tax Preparers and National Association of Enrolled Agents. I'm not aware of online training to begin, but that doesn't mean such courses don't exist. This website has continuing education courses for CPE credits via the "CPE Exam" link at the top.

And you have this forum where others can share their knowledge with you. Many of us feel guarded of novices -- as we are suspicious they are not tax preparers and are just using this forum for free advice. However, it is apparent you are contemplating entering the profession, and we welcome you and stand ready to help as much as we can.

Comment

Thankyou Snaggletooth for being helpful, I will look into your recommendations. I know that with the help of the members of this forum I will be lead to the correct path. As for experience I have none. I have been reading the book " Tax for dummies", I figured I had to start somewhere. I will look into "The Tax Book", Thanx again.

Comment

rdrric

It's late for me right now, but I will be happy to tell you some options for you in the morning, such as courses you may want to look at, etc.

For starters, as Snags has pointed out, what have you done in the way of preparing taxes? Just starting out, have prepared professionally in the past? He has given you some excellent starting points for you to look into.

Talk to you tomorrow,

Dennis

Comment

Tax Course

New York Enrolled Agent - a frequent poster here - recently mentioned that NAEA is working on starting (sometime this summer) an online SEE prep course with Gleim - one of the more popular course programs for passing the Enrolled Agents exam.
          Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Follow up on Uncle Sam's post:

The National Association of Enrolled Agents (NAEA) has entered into a joint venture with Gleim to do an on-line SEE prep course that will have NAEA instructors to help the candidates as they proceed through the on-line sessions. It is my understanding this is scheduled to roll out on or about August 1.
            I do not know all the details but I might suggest that if anyone is interested in learning more about this, send an e-mail to Sam Matlick (NAEA's Director of Membership Services). She can be reached at smatlick@naea.org

Comment

Go to

They will have a list of approved providers for classes and let you know what you need to become a CA Registered Preparer...You will also have to be bonded (insured) and prove it to them after you complete the required hours...I do know that Community Colleges in CA have a beginning tax class that is recognized to get your Fed and CA hours and the testing they require is acceptable by CTEC...You initially need 60 hours...

Comment

I live in California and my understanding is that I have to be registered to prepare taxes. I would like some feedback on any good courses that I can take online. Also any feedback that can help me learn about preparing taxes will be appreciated.
                You've been given good advice by all here and not too much more I can add.

About the only thing I would suggest is to NOT take this initial course online, but in a classroom setting where you can have live interaction with the teacher and other students. I really think this is so important, at least it was for me. You will learn as much from the questions from other students as you will your questions. My wife and I took our initial course together and then would study together until the next course session. Having a "study-buddy" was important for me. Personally, I think an online course is super after your initial course and a great way to get your continuing credits each year.

If you decide to do the classroom setting, do as Myerstaxes suggests, a community college. I would add that you could enroll in an H&R Block tax class. They will be starting shortly, not sure when, but I think it's the end of summer, August or September and goes through mid-December. Register now. Block has excellent, first-rate courses and if you are lucky enough to have a good teacher, all the better. If you decide to work for them for a few years, they offer all the off-season courses for their employees you can handle for only $20 (one course $20 or six for the same $20, doesn't matter. A great deal!).

Lastly, after you complete your course, go work for someone, an Enrolled Agent, CPA, etc. for a few years. You will learn to do tons of tax returns, different types of them and you'll have the guidance of good credentials helping you learn.

Hope this added some options for you, in addition to the other posters' good advice. If you have more questions, post and one of us can lend you a hand. This forum has some wonderful, knowledgable people on it to help you and many preparers like you!

Dennis

Comment

Starting from scratch.

Originally posted by rdrric View Post
                  I live in California and my understanding is that I have to be registered to prepare taxes. I would like some feedback on any good courses that I can take online. Also any feedback that can help me learn about preparing taxes will be appreciated. Thank you
                  Hmm, well; guess if I didn't know much of anything about taxes, then I might take that H&R Block course whenever it comes up (later in the year I think). We've got a few Block employees here on the board that maybe could tell you something about it. I think Jackson-Hewitt also offers a course. If you could get through one of those okay, then somebody might hire you part-time in tax season and you could get some tax prep time under your belt. It's pretty hard to learn this stuff without somebody givin' you a hand.

Ask your relatives and friends if they will let you do their returns either for free or a little bit of nothin'; everybody loves a cheap price (ask Sam Walton). If already done, offer to check for mistakes (see how the preparer handled theirs). Keep readin' all the stuff you can; The Tax Book (as Snag mentioned) is excellent of course, and while I haven't read the one you mentioned, my wife swears that evidently I must have learned the trade by reading "Income Tax for Ignoramuses."

Good luck and best wishes.

Comment

A good place to start

The VITA online training site is at http://www.vita-volunteers.org/IRS/I...arn_Course.htm

Comment

Thankyou

Thankyou all for the great advice, I will be looking into the H&R Block course. I agree with DTS that being in a live classroom where I can interact with teachers and students will be more productive than taking an online course.

Comment

Hrb

H&R Block's Basic Income Tax Course was always the best, but it's been redone. Also, having a season or two where you can do hundreds of returns while surrounded by experienced preparers is invaluable. Block can provide that. Working in their store-front offices, you can eavesdrop on the seasoned preparers and really go up the learning curve fast. Most community colleges have inexpensive tax courses and accounting, too.

Comment

H&R Blcok

I heard has been asking for those who take their course to sign something saying that if they pass they will work for them...They no longer (from my understanding) allow folks to take the course for their own benefit...Check and see, my sources could be incorrect...If not then it is a good place to start, and you may even want to work a season or two with them...They will bond you and see to it that you get your CPE credits as well...
                          Good Luck, I have been in taxes for 35 years and still I learn something new all the time...It is a complex area not to be taken too lightly...

Comment

Originally posted by myerstaxes View Post
                            I heard HRB has been asking for those who take their course to sign something saying that if they pass they will work for them...They no longer (from my understanding) allow folks to take the course for their own benefit...
                            Now that you mention this, I remember a thread some weeks ago on this very thing. You may very well be correct about this.

So, rdrric, check this out! I'm not saying working for Block is bad, but maybe, something you did not have in mind, although not a bad idea for your first couple of seasons.

Dennis

Comment

Block course

H & R Block is now restricting the course to people who will work for them only. Here is the quote from their web site.

"Enrollment in, or completion of the H&R Block Income Tax Course is neither an offer nor a guarantee of employment. Enrollment restrictions apply. Book or other fees may also apply. This course is not intended for, nor open to any persons who are either currently employed by or seeking employment with any professional tax preparation company or organization other than H&R Block. During the course, should H&R Block learn of any student's employment or intended employment with a competing professional tax preparation company or service, H&R Block reserves the right to immediately cancel the student's enrollment. In the event of such cancellation, the student will not be entitled to a refund of any fees paid. Valid at participating locations only. Void where prohibited. H&R Block is an equal opportunity employer."

That being said, I am an ex blockhead and strongly recommend a new preparer work for them for a year or two to gain experience and knowledge and then go out on your own or work for someone else. Their continuing education is good and inexpensive.

Comment

Working...
                              X